Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Thursday, July 1, 2010

A project's end... for now

Did I tell you?  No, no... I don't think I did.  I finished that dresser drawer for Katie and off the whole thing went last week to Arizona.  So here's the last drawer I was working on:


I don't know whether you can see or not, but around the edge of the drawer I started with blue sky and clouds, and then as I got to the lower and bottom edge, it became a night sky and stars.  I thought of that literally the morning of the evening it was going to be picked up and transported.  I had to work fast to get the design laid on and have enough time to get 3 coats of varnish on and dried.  I think I like how it turned out.  A special little drawer for Hayden and Mia.  
Here are the other drawers that were previously done:


1. Chamomile for strength in adversity
2. Sunflower (Katie's favorite flower at one point) for cheerfulness
3. Pansies for loving thoughts
4. Hibiscus for Katie's aloha to Hawaii and for beauty
5. Roses for strength and beauty









Aaaand... here is the top:




A shot of the whole thing:




You may notice that the sides are still not painted.  I'm not sure why I haven't gotten those done yet.  After all, it's been about 14 years since I started this thing.  Maybe it's so I don't feel like the mother/child thing with my daughter is over.  So I have an excuse to go add a little bit more - kind of illustrating the memories in our heads.  I have a loose design in mind for one end of the dresser: a kind of pirate's map set on an aqua background (for the ocean) showing all of the places Katie - and her family - have gone.  We'll start in California, sail to Hawaii, back to California, short detour to Costa Rica, a longer stay in Puerto Rico, to Arizona, and then...???  You know - have those little dotted lines leading all over the place.  
The other end of it?  I have no clue.  Inspiration usually strikes me in the 11th hour, so that end may have to be up against the wall for awhile longer.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the way it all came together! Thank you so much, it really is such a treasure to me. Since the girls will be sharing a room, it will be so cute in there! You'll have to add Mexico on the map too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the PERFECT gift, Karen. So much love and meaning in every stroke of the brush. This is just amazing!

    Kind of like the person who made it.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amazed, you are an amazing artist! Your girls will treasure that, you may need to make small ones so all of the granddaughters get one, and a fight doesn't break out ;)

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed