Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I Am Hopeful

Jen, over at Denton Sanatorium, issued a writing assignment: choose one word that best describes you.  Like everyone else, I had a hard time coming up with a word for myself.  And then it came to me.  In the shower, as so many other things do.  I tossed it around all day, mulled it over, reviewed the pros and cons and realities, and made my decision.  My word is: 


Hopeful

Hopeful, as in hoping for the best.  Hoping for a good outcome.  Being optimistic.  Hoping for the best in myself and in others.  
There are other words I could use to describe myself: creative, bossy, opinionated, friendly, loyal.  But each one of these is just an extension of the hope I have that everything will have a good outcome.  Sometimes I'm lazy and I procrastinate.  I tend to work very hard at the last minute, hoping for that good outcome.  But the older I get, I find that I've learned a valuable thing or two about being prepared.  That, combined with hard work, makes me even more hopeful for that happy end result.
I love to be creative.  Sometimes I don't know exactly how a project will turn out.  As I turn it over in my mind, I'm always hopeful for that spark of genius creativity.  I never imagine that I won't get it.  I never think that a mistake, or wrong brush stroke, or even a wrong turn in life can't be fixed.  Creativity is mine - I never imagine that it isn't.
I love my family.  As in all families, things don't always go the way I'd like them to.  Children don't always do things that are good for them.  I didn't always do things that were in my best interest.  But on my worst day, I never lost hope that my life could take a turn for the better if I tried hard enough.  If I was determined enough.  And so I never lose hope on their behalf either.  
Now, I know that people will disappoint me from time to time.  I'm sure I'm disappointing to someone every so often.  The point is to be realistic, but to always expect the best, hope for the best.  And most of the time I get it, or at least a reasonable facsimile.  People just love to rise to the occasion, and to your best expectations.  It would be disheartening to go through life just waiting for the next person to fail me.  Waiting for that next thing to go wrong.  I prefer to expect good people doing good things.  When I'm disappointed, well then... I'm disappointed.  But someone else's failure isn't mine.  I'm not Pollyanna-ish.  I'm not incredulous or shattered when things go south.  I just prefer to keep the faith - the HOPE, if you will - alive and well.  
Hope gives me the knowledge that I've got a hand in my own destiny, rather than feeling helpless while fate metes out a bitter hand.   It takes the fear out of failure, and makes me want to try again.  Hope keeps me making my lists, it makes me try, try again to overcome my bad habits.  It helps me to eat healthy, even though the day before I ate brownies, and cookies, and pecan sticky buns.  It makes me believe, truly believe, that I can beat my rheumatoid arthritis if I learn enough about how my body works.  (So far, so good...)  It makes me believe that if I write something on this blog, people will read it.  And hopefully enjoy it.  Hope is what supplies me with the confidence to tilt at the windmills one more day, and to dream my impossible dreams.  I couldn't imagine being myself without HOPE.






PS: Katie and the crew boarded a plane this morning and got out of Dodge.  They should be arriving in Phoenix right about now.
I got my butter dish on E-Bay!  It was right down to the wire - an all out bidding war! (Who would think people would be fighting for a Franciscan Ware butter dish?!?)  I remained hopeful - and wily - and in the last 30 seconds I blew them all away with my final bid, and it was still less than I'd have paid for it elsewhere!

8 comments:

  1. Beautifully written. What a wonderful way to describe Hope!

    I really thought my word would be "hopeful" too.

    I'm follwing! I thought I already was actually...now I am for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful!! My favorite thing you've posted.
    Glad your people are gettin' outta Dodge!
    And congrats on the butter dish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this, Karen. And as a big hoper myself, I could totally relate to every word. (We do have our similarities!)

    Kudos on the butter dish. I knew you could do it! You smoked 'em!!

    =D

    PS. Glad the kids are out of that mess....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought Phoenix felt different this morning!
    And this post was so eloquent. Very impressed. What a Christlike characteristic to have and claim as your own. I've really loved this experiment and reading everyone's results.
    Come visit if you're ever in town (you might be, now!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the ideas behind this word choice. So insightful. I loved reading every word.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In reading everyone's words whom I have visited, I find myself nodding in agreement. And in yours I was also nodding. What a great word. Where are we without hope? And being hopeful.

    Thanks for visiting my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopeful is a wonderful thing to be! And (kind of off the subject) I've always thought the name Hope for a girl was one of the most beautiful names anyone could think of. Probably because hope is such a beautiful thing.
    So glad that you won your butter dish! A perfect ending for this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for the butter dish. I think hopeful suits you perfectly, you're always so optimistic.
    p.s. love the new pics of your grandkids- they're super cute

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed