Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Sunday, September 12, 2010

I've Had Just About Enough Of My Own Company

A quiet Sunday.  A good Sunday, but quiet all on my own.  I scooted home from church, changed clothes, grabbed a book and some water and took myself out to the patio to sit in the sun and read for a little bit.  It was hotter than it looked out there, but I'm not quite ready to give up the healthy glow and tanned legs yet. It makes me feel thinner, and if I can't actually BE thinner, I at least deserve to FEEL thinner.  There's just something about the cancerous UV ray sunshine that makes you feel healthier.  I know, right?  There's no rhyme or reason to it.  I do limit my time out there to 1 hour.  I can't take any more than that anyway these days.  I can remember sitting on the roof of my dorm at BYU slathering baby oil all over my body and then sitting there with a foil covered piece of cardboard reflecting the sun's rays even more intensely on my face and shoulders.  Now THAT was nuts.  And we'd do it all afternoon.
So I did my hour, couldn't handle it any more than that, and I came inside.  Drank about a gallon of water.  Wandered around the house aimlessly.  Did some wash.  Changed the sheets on the bed.  Finally - my parents came over after going to see my grandma.  I sat with the folks visiting for awhile until they got bored and wanted to go home.
I called my BFF Marion and talked to her for quite a long time until she, too, had to go.  Something about wanting to eat dinner.  Dinner.  What to eat for dinner?? (I'm so out of practice fending for myself...)  L usually does the grocery shopping (I would rather pull out my eyelashes) and he shops how he cooks: as if everything is going to be made from scratch.  When I shop, I like to buy lots of sauces and gourmet goodies to spice things up a bit, and ease the preparation.  I'm all about the ease of preparation.  Not so much about the chopping and peeling.  So as I was looking through the pantry for dinner inspiration, I wasn't seeing a lot to get excited about.  And I couldn't go to the store.  It's Sunday.  I finally chopped up some romaine, found some southwest spiced turkey slices, some cheese and some fresh green beans (from Trader Joes!) and made myself a nice little salad.  I have to admit that I got the salad idea from Marion because that's what she said she was having.  It was a good idea.
L called from Provo.  All is well there.  He and Andrew went on a little hike this afternoon.  Cleaned Andrew's apartment (it was typical boy apartment - stinky and messy), had a little dinner, watched some football, and called it a day.  Andrew is doing well and was glad his dad was there to visit.
Katie called from Arizona.  She lost her only house keys.  One minute they were in her hand, the next minute *POOF* they were gone.  They looked last night, they looked again today.  They are gone.  Abducted by aliens. Stolen by gremlins.  Gone.  Mystifying.  Not quite sure what the next move is, but she's hoping to avoid a locksmith.  They went to their new church.  It went well.
I drove to my brother's to drop of the Mustang parts catalog that L does for the family biz.  I really didn't want to leave the house and drive over there, but I'd promised L that I would so off I went.  And now I'm back home.  Every light in the house blazing and every door locked tight.  TV blaring.  I hate being alone all night.  I found this old picture of Mia.  It's kind of how I feel right now.


I want L to hurry up and come home.  Two more days, 1 more night.  Tomorrow there's work, and then I bamboozled a friend into having dinner with me tomorrow night and then going to yoga.  Monday night alone, then Tuesday work.  Pick L up at John Wayne at 4pm.  YAY!  I'm tired of talking to myself.  I've heard it all already.

3 comments:

  1. I love vitamin D- if only I weren't so pale. Truly a white girl if you know what I mean.

    I wish we lived closer- a GNO is just what you need, every night though, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why I thought I read this post, maybe I saw the pic on facebook and got all mixed up? Anyway, Glad you get to pick up LaMar today so you can stop talking to yourself. Its funny, at first I didn't sleep well with Zach gone, but now I think I sleep better, LOL. He keeps snoring when he's home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the same thing at BYU, only with baby oil. Seriously crazy huh? Your solitude sounds lovely, but only for a finite period. I can't believe you have only one degree of separation from Ted Nugent...er, the Nuge.

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed