Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Sunday, September 19, 2010

On Being Awesome

I was struck by a post I read the other day by my blogging friend Katie.  It started with a quote:
Anyone can be cool
But being awesome takes practice

You can read the entire post here.  It links you to a couple of articles about being awesome vs being ordinary.  I laughed when I first read it, but it kind of stuck with me.  I kept thinking, "I want to be awesome..."  So, this weekend, I decided I would practice being awesome.  I would set goals and accomplish them.  I would go out of my way to do things for other people, instead of just sitting back in my comfy world being ordinary.

It was a great weekend.

On Saturday morning, instead of my ordinary stay in bed reading until 10:00 routine, I was up and in the shower.  I'd been invited to a girls' luncheon in honor of the birthday of an old friend of mine.  At first we were going to meet in La Canada, and then it got changed to the Black Cow Cafe in Montrose.  Now, first of all, that whole area is at least an hour away from me, and I'm not familiar with it at all.  My eyesight is OK under normal circumstances, but I get nervous when I'm driving in territories unfamiliar.  I was uncomfortable with the drive, but I was determined to go.  At the last minute, L made the suggestion that he drive me, and while we had lunch he would tool around and explore the town.  It's really a charming area, with cute shops and restaurants, and homes ranging from cute to amazing.  The whole area is set up against the Angeles Crest mountains, and is right next to Pasadena (home of the Rose Bowl).  I snapped at that offer.  My only worry just vanished.  It was a beautiful day - bright, sunny, warm, but not too warm.  When we got to the Black Cow, people were sitting outside eating.  Perfect.  We had about 1/2 an hour's wait, so we visited, I got a chance to reconnect with my friend's daughters and daughter in law, and we had the best time.  My friend's husband is one of the premier French Horn players in Los Angeles, if not the country.  He's probably played in every movie you could think of.  He's an amazing talent, my friend is a brilliant pianist (and she can sing) and all of their children are loaded with talent.  They are all either aspiring actors or singers.  It's a glimpse into another world.  I always feel like I've been to Disneyland after a day with them, and then I go back to my ordinary life filled with ordinary people.  (But I like my ordinary life with ordinary people.  This other world is interesting and fascinating and filled with famous people, but it's kind of exhausting.)  
But back to lunch.  It was brilliant.  The food was so good, and we talked, and laughed, and had such a good visit.  I've known this girl for a long, long time, and I've known her kids since before they were born.  I need to do this more often.  One of the girls has a husband who is an aspiring comedian, so we made tentative plans to get together and go see Oscar when he performs.  I can't imagine living like that, but it's fun to be on the fringe.  I made me feel awesome just to be with my friends in a place so far away from Orange County.
I don't know if you're supposed to have goals on the Sabbath, but I set 3 for myself today: 1. Scramble eggs, cheese, and pancetta together and then assemble them into little egg burritos for my breakfasts this coming week.  2. Bake 2 chicken breasts (stuffed with ricotta - yum!) for a couple of my lunches this week, and 3. Bake some cookies to give away - mostly to start using up that surplus of chocolate chips that I've managed to collect in the pantry.
I was doing pretty well.  I'd managed both 1. and 2.  Then my mom and dad came over.  We visited for awhile and then we went over to see my grandma and aunt before we had dinner.  After that it was getting kind of late, but I wanted so badly to be awesome today, so at 8:30 this evening I was baking cookies, folks.  I haven't watched TV or wasted time this entire day.  I used my calm and patient voice all day - even when the first batch of cookies burned. (Martha Stewart said to bake them for 16-18 minutes.  Seriously, they were done at 10 minutes.  I think that recipe was a typo.)  
I was pretty awesome today.  It's time for bed ( I always seem to be doing this blogging thing late at night...) and I'm going to get a good night's sleep and practice being awesome again tomorrow.  I like the feeling.

Mia being awsome on her new bike.



















                               Katie and I being awesome in Puerto Rico








4 comments:

  1. Wow. You ARE awesome.

    (I was kind of awesome yesterday, too.)

    =)

    PS. Today, I'm still in my PJs and it's almost 10 AM. Being awesome wore me out...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! i already knew you were awesome...but I am so glad you liked the articles! They stuck with me too.

    Thanks for all your great comments on my blog. I want you to know I cherish them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're pretty awesome all of the time. Writing little notes and comments on the blogs of silly girls (read:mine) is a very generous act if I do say so myself. I always love to see what nice things you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are pretty awesome myself. What a great idea you had to not waste your time and do things for others and reconnect and enjoy people.
    You know we all need our down time but life is too short to waste on too much t.v., etc... You done good and it was definately awesome :-D

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed