Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Fundraiser for Tyler

I want to tell you all about something near and dear to me.  I have a good friend - Nancy - who has been my friend since our kids were itty bitty.  It was in her pool (when she lived in California) that my kids first learned to swim (along with sliding into her pool from a slide on top of her patio roof - but that's a story for another day).  We've had lots of fun over the years.  She has twin sons, Andy and Tyler, who are in their mid twenties somewhere (although I still picture them as little towheaded boys...), and who are the light of her life.
Tyler has had a heart condition from the time he was tiny.  He had one surgery when he was a toddler.  I remember I bought him a Glow Worm to keep him company in the hospital.  (Remember those toys?)  Long story short, Tyler needs another surgery to repair a bad mitral valve.  He has no insurance because the company he was working for folded in this bad economy.  He is too old to be on mom and dad's insurance - you all know how that goes.  There is no choice about getting this surgery - he needs it, and he needs it urgently.  Nancy is worried, yet full of faith and hope.  Tyler just wants to get on with it and feel better.
His friends in his singles ward in Utah (where they've lived for several years now) are throwing a Halloween fundraiser for him.  These kids are awesome - Tyler is so lucky to be surrounded by such great, supportive friends, along with his brother Andy and the rest of his amazing family.  Here are the details:


In order to raise as much money as possible, there needs to be a lot of participation in this event.  Obviously, I live in California and am not able to go, so I will just be donating to the cause.  If some of you are feeling generous, or have an extra $5 or $10 laying around, it would be awesome if you did what I'm going to do, and send a check to:
Tyler Curtis Fund
915 N. 1100 W.
Farmington, UT  84025

For those of you who are lucky enough to live in the area, gather up your friends and family and go support this wonderful, completely worthy event.  It'll be a lot of fun and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you've helped a great young man get a start on paying for this surgery and his aftercare.  Like NieNie, I'm sure it will take many many fundraisers to make a dent in the total amount, but at least this is a start.  And (and this is a big and) - it will give you, the giver, that wonderful floaty feeling in your soul.  You know the feeling - the one that let's you know you've just been a willing participant in something quite wonderful, and you've given love and service to total strangers.  Which actually makes them friends, now, doesn't it?


PS: Prayers are a wonderfully appreciated gift as well.

6 comments:

  1. Karen, you are a good soul- I will definitely be sending a donation to such a worthy and good cause. A strange question- but has anyone tried contacting a hospital- there are so many doctors here who are willing to do non-profit work and then the only thing they pay for is the hospital stay (specifically the U- since it's a teaching hospital)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea, Jess! (I will send a donation too, Karen.) And prayers.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Tyler, I guess I haven't been on facebook much lately to hear. Wish we lived in Utah to go to his fundraiser. I will see if there is anything we can donate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a handsome guy and he is lucky to have so many wonderful friends. I am going to donate and pass along the information, especially to those I know who live in Utah. I know the Lord provides and he will be able to get his surgery and all will be taken care of. You are such a good friend and so supportive :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so much - as usual, so much wonderful support from you all. i can remember Nancy (his mom) telling me that after his 1st surgery when he was just little he was telling her about "all the people" standing around his crib during the night. There was no one there but her. Angels? You tell me... He's a special boy. And he's my friend's boy so I want to help. Thank you all for wanting to help too!
    And yes - I'm sure the doctors are doing some donated work because there's been no hedging about if or when to get this done. When I asked him what hospital, he said the same hospital as when he was little, and I thought he said it was Children's. Does that make sense? I'll have to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen,
    I just found your blog. We live about an hour away from Farmington, but it sounds like fun. If we can't swing the visit to the carnival, I'll send in a donation. I hope this works well for him!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed