Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Saturday, October 16, 2010

A Good Day Of The Ordinary Kind

It felt so good to sleep in a bit this morning!  Last week for me was one of those weeks where you just can't do anything right.  I mean not a thing.  If I read an email, I read it wrong.  Entered things on wrong dates.  I forgot things.  Someone told me they didn't like the tone of one of my emails.  (I didn't know that an email could have a TONE?!?)  That one made me cry.  I was so underwater with tasks that there were times I let the phone go to voicemail.  That made my sales reps complain to my boss that they were sure I was screening their calls.  Sweet.  I found myself sitting in his office explaining how overwhelmed I am at times - how overwhelmed we ALL are, as I'm not the only one in the office.  That I don't screen calls - I really am that busy.  Luckily he likes me a lot and he also sees firsthand what a crazy job I have.  Then he told me he really needs me to be at work no later than 9.  *crickets chirping*  I had no defense.  I've never been an on-time person, and when I'm overtired and achey in the morning it tends to be even worse.  So I've been stepping it up, making sure I'm up earlier.  It really goes against my grain, but what am I gonna do?  I kind of need the job right now.  It was a tough week.
L and I took ourselves to Target.  He was ready to spend money.  Part with some dinero.  I love it when he's in one of those moods.  First on the list was razor blades for both of us and toothpaste for me.  $30 of merchandise right there.  Next we headed for the Halloween section for candy.  We made our selections and then I saw the witch hat that my daughter Katie had gotten at Target.  Black, of course, but it was swathed in black net, and had tiny black pompoms on the net (like on old time ladies' hats) and black feathers on the brim.  So much detail!  So much black magic!  The net hangs down over your face and there are little black spiders fastened to the net.

We put it in the cart.  I got some Halloween socks in the dollar section.  We grocery shopped while we were there. (Does anyone else love their brand Archer Farms as much as I do?)  It was a good time with my husband.
We headed across the street to Trader Joe's next.  Picked a pumpkin to carve.  Went inside and went crazy. The sample they were giving out today was pumpkin bread spread with honey goat cheese and sprinkled with rosemary chopped pecans and dried cranberries.  I can't even describe how good it was.  I grabbed the goat cheese, pumpkin bread mix and TWO bags of those rosemary pecan/cranberries.  I have a love affair with that store every time I go in there.
An ordinary Saturday - nothing extraordinary, and yet the best kind of nice afternoon!  It was cool here - rainy in the morning.  We bundled up a little against the chill.  There's nothing I love more than a Saturday when I can kick around with the old man.  We are simpatico.  We are on the same wavelength.  We laugh at the same random, ridiculous things.  And he kind of likes me in my witch hat.

6 comments:

  1. Your witch hat is cuter than ours, now fair! Mine and Mias don't have feathers or spiders on the tulle. How fun that well all be witches though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of like you in your witch hat, too. That thing is super cool!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the rough week- that's never fun, and thankfully it's over! Hopefully next week will be better.

    Shopping with your man sounds like it was just what you needed- and you got a cute costume too. Oh- that pumpkin bread from trader joe's sounds so delish-mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look so good in the witch hat - I love it! Glad you could have a good day with your guy after an especially hectic week!! Hope you are relaxed as a new one starts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!!!! And I will be called Mimi.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post--the TONE of your post was perfect (aside from the email tone).

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed