Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Pies and Nostalgia

L and I had a busy weekend.  It was a pie weekend.  On Saturday morning I was browsing through a Williams Sonoma catalog (those things are as good as a book for me - I love all the gadgets and equipment!), and I came across an appliance that made little personal pies.  Could be a fruit pie or a turkey pot pie - but it makes four little pies at once.


It's kind of like a waffle iron but with four little pie shaped cups in the base (about 4 inches in diameter).  On the lid is the complementary top half.  You cut four pastry rounds with the cutter that comes with the appliance, and the same tool also pushes the crust into the bottom of each opening.  Spoon in the filling of your choice, and don't be stingy - you want it to mound up a bit.  Lay the top crust over the top and close the lid.  The top half seals and crimps each little pie and bakes it in about 10 minutes.  Our first batch burned around the edges but didn't get browned on top.  Hmmmm... so we figured out that the filling needs to be mounded in so the top crust is rounded over it.  The second batch turned out pretty good.  We made apple cranberry pies - we found the filling ready made at Trader Joe's.  With the leftover pastry dough I was able to also make some pocket pies with the apple shaped pastry cutter I got last year at Williams Sonoma.  We were up until about 11:00 Saturday night baking little pies.  I'm kind of over pies now... which is too bad, because I have to make some big size pies for Thanksgiving and it's not sounding that good at the moment.  I don't know whether I'm hoping my appetite comes back or not.  I'd love to be able to look at pie and think "Meh - don't want any."  But it's hard to cook if you're not thinking it's going to be delicious.  You need to have your eye on the prize, as it were.
I did have fun cooking with L though.  He does most of the every day cooking, but when it comes to special occasions or the holidays, I do like to get in the kitchen and whip up this or that.  I usually get so ambitious that I get all worn out, and I don't want to cook anything else for a year.  Let's see if I can reign in the enthusiasm a bit this year and keep it real.
So it's a big week.  3 days of preparation (I'm trying to negotiate taking a half day off on Wednesday so I can come home and cook), then the feast day.  Scott and Ashley, Ashley's friend who is far from her family, and my aunt and Grandma are all coming.  I'm so excited that Grandma's coming - she loves Thanksgiving dinner, and she's a joy to cook for after all the years she's spent cooking for everyone else.
On Friday L and I are going to celebrate his birthday.  He wants to go to a particular restaurant and go to a movie.  His wants are simple.  He wants it to be just the two of us, and after Thanksgiving that will feel just right.
L is helping my dad put together a book of my dad's life.  My dad wrote his memoirs and L is art directing it and laying it out.  Dad has given him the goofiest assortment of photos to include in it.  Well, actually there are some really nice old photographs of grandparents and my dad when he was a boy.  And the ones of us kids when we were little are cute and darling.  But then it gets into the 70's and 80's and I just don't know what happened.  All of a sudden my hair is looking like I don't ever remember it looking (perhaps I've blocked the memory...).  It's embarrassing.  There are a few photos of me that I really am putting the kabosh on.  No go.  I do not want ANYONE remembering me that way, and out of all the pictures my parents have of me, I have to wonder what possessed my dad to pick those.  It makes no sense, and I must put my foot down.  Eighties hair should be outlawed - I looked like someone in a bad Farrah Fawcett wig.  L says it was what it was, but I say we should be remembered with a little dignity.
But L also came across this one.  My senior picture.  Class of '71.  Dig the green eyeshadow...

Funny - I remembered disliking this picture.  Didn't like the way I looked.  Can you imagine that?!?  It's odd looking at an image of the person you used to be, and in many ways (deeeep inside, under many many layers), still are.  I like that girl a lot better now than I did then.  I didn't appreciate her half enough when I was her, and it makes me a little sad remembering that.  I miss her in a way, but I hope she'd be pleased at what she's become.  And I hope one fine day, when all is said and done, to look like that again.  L said he would not be disappointed if that were the case.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous at how pretty you ARE! You were beautiful then and now. Always wished I looked more like you. i remember looking through your old year books and wishing that so much. I don't think I'll EVER like my high school picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look like the character Megan on the show Numbers (google her now- she's really pretty, and so are you!)

    I hope your Thanksgiving turns out just right, and that L's birthday is fun for him too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute picture, and if you ask me, you don't look so very different now.

    Still lovely, after all these years...

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've visited with you in life, and I can say that I would have guessed that was you. But thanks for abandoning the eye shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the green eyeshadow! You are beautiful in your senior picture and now!
    I've never seen the awesome pie maker.
    I hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THose appliances are like drugs for me---that little pie maker will be screaming at me in my dreams now....

    You were one of the "pretty ones" dear--my graduation photo---you can't even find my eye shadow color for the hair bomb going off on top of my head---

    ReplyDelete
  7. With our birthdays just 10 days apart, our yearly wish was to wake up beautiful. How sad to realize so many years later we already were...especially you, both inside and out. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are GORGEOUS, and I NEED that pie-maker!! I am going on thw Williams Sonoma websote right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing your senior picture. Isn't it weird to think how picky we were then about minor things. What a lovely girl/woman your were/are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this Senior picture of you. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed