Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Monday, November 15, 2010

Random Thoughts

Can it really be true that Thanksgiving is only a little over a week away?  It seems like I was just recently leisurely browsing recipes, idly considering new ideas for our Thanksgiving dinner.  And now, here it is almost on top of me, and I'd better get it together.  This year really snuck up on me.
I feel like my life is getting crazier by the day, and yet at the end of every week or even weekend, I can barely remember what I did.  Life is moving fast these days, and I'm not so sure I like it.  I've lost/am losing the luxury of free time.  Every minute away from work is jam-packed with things I need to do.  And I never get to half of them, so they become just good intentions.  And you know what the road to hell is paved with...
Here are the thoughts and worries that fly through my brain on most days (in no particular order):
1. My daughter all alone in Mesa with her two daughters while her husband is in Savannah on rotations.  At least the baby has gotten some relief for what turned out to be allergies, and is now sleeping most, if not all of the night.  But now Katie threw her back out and is in a lot of pain.  I want to help, but how??
2. What to get everyone for Christmas.  I've done almost no shopping, and the idea of going to a mall makes me want to cry.  I need to buckle down, make some decisions, and fire up the internet.
3. How to make Christmas an easier day.  I get so wound up trying to make everyone happy that I'm just about done in.  L and I have a blended family that isn't always so blended.  Its getting better with time, but I wish everyone could just relax, chill, and enjoy everyone for who they are.  I like all different kinds of people, and  I don't understand why this is so hard, but then - the holidays are nothing if not emotional.  *sigh*  I always want the picture perfect holiday, and so far its been elusive.  I like holidays with lots of family and talking and visiting, and L likes holidays with lots of alone time.  See? We're a match made in heaven.  But really - he understands me better than anyone, and I totally get him - we just have opposite socializing requirements.  We'll work it out.
4. How to get myself thinner.  Okay, this is trivial, but it has a lot to do with how I feel about myself.  I have a sneaking suspicion that I wouldn't spend half what I do on clothes and skincare if I were more happy with my body.  For some reason I always think that a new pair of pants will make me look better.  And they do... for a day.  And then I'm stuck with me again.
5. How to fit in visiting my grandma, doing my VT, finishing my painting projects, and maybe sneaking a good book in, along with a regular exercise routine when I don't get home from work before 6pm and I need to be in bed by 10?  (So, consequently I don't usually get to bed before 11 so as the week progresses I become a hot mess because I'm sleep deprived.  AND I still don't get all of those things in.)

My friends, I could go on and on but then you'd know how nuts I really am, if you don't already.  I'm having a hard time not having enough time for things I really want and need to do.  Add in the holidays, and it's a recipe for emotional craziness.  We're all busy, I know, so how do most of you cope with too much to do?  I used to not be so busy at work, so I could do a little online shopping during the day, or balance my checkbook or plan a menu.  But lately it's been so annoying - my 8 hours are actually filled with work.  I hate when that happens.

I think what I'm experiencing is a little pre-holiday jitters.  Once I plunge in and start getting things done, plans start falling into place.  I just feel a little ambushed right now.  Not prepared.  But I'm looking forward to having Scott and Ashley over for Thanksgiving.  Ash and I had a great night last week shopping for makeup at Sephora.  (They were having a 20% off your purchase night!) We reality checked each other's spending.  We were good shopping buddies AND we discovered the best mascara anywhere.  (Givenchy - the wand is shaped like a little spiky ball and makes your eyelashes just stunning)  Afterwards we grabbed a bite to eat and she announced that she was going to bring green bean casserole to Thanksgiving dinner.  My favorite.  Suddenly I felt like I wasn't in this feast dinner all by myself.  Someone was going to bring the veggies.
So these have been the topics banging around in my head the last few days.  Nothing more entertaining than that. Just raw life in all it's randomness.  It's 10:10.  Past my bedtime.  The day went so quickly.  Again.

9 comments:

  1. I hear you! I'm dealing with the same thing! Not enough time or money, too much to do and running out of energy.
    I love it when I get help to get things done. Usually I fret over all the things that need to be done, then once I get on it, it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

    I know what you mean about losing weight. There seems to be a feeling of empowerment when the pounds start to fall off. But it's frustrating when they start to come back on. It's hard to be human!

    Have a good day and just hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I'm the opposite, when I'm too heavy I shop way less because NOTHING looks cute on me. As for what helps me when I have too much to do an not enough time--LISTS. Check lists help me so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, making the list helps me, too. Once I have a list, I feel like I've got it under control, even if I don't!

    I always feel pre-Thanksgiving jitters because my oven is unpredictable in its heating, and I never really know whether it's the right temperature at any given time or not. (Those kind you buy to test it are not that reliable either.) But we will muddle through.

    I am doing my best to just focus on the people and how happy I will be to see them all. And I'm hoping against hope that everyone is well so little Sullivan won't catch something while he's here. (Right now, a bunch of us are sick with bad colds.) *sigh*

    As you can see, I relate to your post. Except at least I don't have to work! I can understand how you might be feeling stressed, because I'm retired and STILL feel the stress of it all.

    ;)

    Ps. Hope Katie's back heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel ya Karen- and there are some truffles on their way to you- hopefully to make your day a little sweeter.

    Sorry I'm no help on the stress front, and I have the ulcer to prove it!

    It seems like I always try to do too much, and when I remember what's really important, and eliminate the rest (ok, or like half of the rest) I feel a whole lot better. And I agree with Katie and Sue- lists are my brain on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen your thoughts are alot like mine.
    In recent years I have really tried to simplify things in many ways. I tend to like to overdo and go all out and get crazy with the holidays but you can't keep that up all the time.
    One of the things I do is to take one thing and just get-it-done. Take my Christmas shopping this year. I spent an entire evening making the lists of what I was doing for everyone. This way I was armed and already knew what I was going to buy before going shopping.
    Then I spent one day shopping and did what I could online - Knowing what I was getting beforehand really made it fast and easy.
    You get the idea - One day=one task totally done.
    A couple of years ago we moved our entire family Christmas celebration to Christmas Eve. We have dinner, play games, talk, sing, and open some gifts, etc...
    Christmas day is a happy lounging, family day - anyone who wants to be there can be there but it is strictly fun and nonformal. We open gifts in the morning, nobody gets dressed till 2:00, we eat leftovers - I love it because we can all enjoy it and enjoy each other - no stress with cooking, or cleaning, etc...
    Anyway, you were probably just getting thoughts out and not looking for answers but I am with you. There is always so much more to do than there is time.
    Good luck - I know somehow it all manages to get done :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. write it down and let it all out! Not having enough time is hard. Sometimes the worst is knowing where to start. Writing a list is the first step! That is what I do anyway. I find as crazy as life gets, it always works out and things get done. And if they don't - oh well. Everyone will live.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I was wise or something--but I'm not--hang in there--keep us posted--

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love when random thoughts come together. I'm not facing the reality of the holidays yet...I keep turning the radio station when I hear Christmas music. After Thanksgiving I should be ready!
    Yum! Green Bean casserole. I always have to make that! I mean I'm happy to do it...but I really can make something else. Although, it's not Thanksgiving without it!
    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed