Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Friday, December 31, 2010

December 31st 2010: In which Marion inspires a trail hike

December 31st, 2010.  Last day of the year.  It started earlier than usual for this week - L and I went to Fullerton at 9:45 so I could get my bangs trimmed.  Normally that's something I do myself, and it never really ends well, so I decided to get organized and actually go in for the free trim.  10 minutes later we were on our way to breakfast at Tom's Place - the best breakfast burritos anywhere!
When we got home, we were stuffed.  A walk was in order.  We discussed back and forth where to go: the river bed, the Yorba Linda trail... and then I remembered the book of easy OC day hikes I'd given L awhile back.  We'd never ever gone on one.  Until today.  My friend Marion, in Washington goes on hikes all the time in beautiful forests that are so green and ferny they look prehistoric.  When we were there visiting last year she kicked my butt hiking and I've never gotten over the humiliation.  So this little hike (and the ones that follow) are inspired by her - although they won't be nearly so green.  Or damp and ferny.  I mean, this is Southern California - we don't have fern sprouting forests here.  Pity.  You know what we do have, though?  Rosemary that grows like weeds along the trail side.  It was a sweet smelling surprise.
Anyway, back to today's hike:  we chose a 4 mile loop that was back in the hills off of Weir Canyon.  It's always nice to look at new scenery when you're setting off on a longer than usual hike.  It helps to distract you from the sweat that's pouring down your back.  The trail was a little muddy in spots from the rain, but it was good for the most part.  The hardest part for me was the up and down and general unevenness of the trail.  We're used to walking on bridal paths or streets, so this was a new challenge for my ankles and knees - but I'd fortified myself beforehand with Excedrin and Advil.  It was a beautiful day - blue skies and crisp cool air.  Even so, it wasn't long before I was huffing and puffing.  But I did it.  All four miles.  And I only whined once or twice.
Here and there we saw evidence of the fire a couple of years back:


But you can see here that the rain has done it's work.  Lots of green and the sky was gorgeous!




I took a quick shot of my hiking companion so I would have an excuse to rest for a minute:




Towards the end of the 4 mile loop we came upon what was probably just a large puddle of water, but it looked so pretty on top of the hill overlooking the valley!  And check out the clouds reflected in the water.




And who's the happy girl who sees the end of the trail ahead?  Actually, I thought I saw the end of the trail ahead.  ahem - I actually DID see the end of the trail, but L thought that it wasn't the end of the trail and he led us on a little wild goose chase down a random trail that turned into a death defying (well almost) steep path that eventually led us to the car.  Next time I really need to speak up when I know I'm right.  But that's an argument for another day.  As I said - here's the happy girl who thinks she's about to stop hiking:




It was a fun couple of hours (except for the death defying part).  My knees and ankles and lower back are feeling it, but I keep thinking that I actually went 4 miles today, and I'm kind of basking in the glow of it all.  (I know I'm a hiking wimp, but you have to start somewhere...) Since it was cool out, there were no bugs flying around, and that's what wrecks most hikes for me.  I told L we should make a trail hike a weekly thing for better health in the new year.  I'm hoping it will strengthen my muscles, give me a cardio workout,  and beat some fluff off my butt.  I'll let you know how that goes.


My very best wishes to all of you for a happy, healthy 2011!

7 comments:

  1. Good for you Mom! I had my last Diet Cokes tonight. Nothing but water from here on out! Tomorrow will be the first day of my journey. Let our emails begin Schistcher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed. VERY.

    =)

    PS. I want to get more exercise this year, too. It's one of my main goals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as it was death-defying, not the real McCoy.
    Happy New Year~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, Karen! Now I'm inspired to get moving too!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go girl! You are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made me want to hike, yes indeed you did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your new background! Its so fresh :)

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed