Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Here Comes The Sun...Briefly...

I'm listening to the rain coming down.  It's peaceful and it feels good to be inside our cozy house.  This afternoon L and I took a drive down to Balboa Island with my new camera.  I really have no idea how to use it, but it seems the best thing to do is just jump in with both feet and try.  It was cloudy and cool at home but (oddly enough) the closer we got to the beach, the sunnier and warmer it became.  I regretted wearing the old sweatshirt I had on.
We walked down the main drag until we got to the sidewalk that runs around the island.  We walked about halfway around the island's perimeter, stopping here and there to take pictures.  My biggest challenge, I think, is not being self conscious about stopping and taking pictures like a tourist.  Today I was able to forget myself and do just that.  The sun was shining and making the water sparkle.  There were loads of people walking along the water, and even more sitting on benches along the main street, enjoying the sun and frozen bananas and Starbucks.
By the time we'd walked back to our starting point, the wind had picked up and was chilly, the clouds had rolled in, and off in the distance you could see where it was raining - it looked like it was over Huntington Beach.  I was glad I had that sweatshirt on.  I took lots of pictures, trying this, trying that, still having little idea of what I was doing.  But here, back in our warm, dry house, I sorted out the best ones for you to see. And as you can see, I still have a lot to learn.  I tend to tilt the camera so the picture isn't framed up quite straight.  I need to learn to be quicker to catch the shot I want.  I'm still in that "film" frame of mind - not wanting to waste an exposure on a bad shot, so I hesitate, waiting for the exact right moment, and then I miss it.  This is digital - just shoot away!  A good shot will be in there somewhere.
And L just followed along, being a good sport.  By the time I let him get his hands on the camera it was freezing cold.  We'd driven up to the bluffs above Corona Del Mar, the sky was ominous, and the wind cut right through my sweatshirt.  It always surprises me how quickly the weather can change.  All in all it was a nice afternoon - one of those lazy ones where there are no appointments to keep, and nowhere you have to be.  I haven't had one of those in quite awhile, and I have to admit I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Flower baskets on the lightposts going over the bridge to Balboa Island


A cottage with a red door and red Valentine wreath hanging on it


Another sweet cottage - I can only imagine how cute the inside must be!


You can see what a beautiful afternoon it was, and these bright flowers looked so pretty against the blue sky.


The cute couple above and the mom and daughter below were just a few of the many people 
out enjoying the island today.





Sun shining on a dock along the bay, rafts at the ready.  
We could hear seals barking out in the water.



And... here comes trouble:


The skies darkened, the wind picked up, rain was in the distance.  Time to head home.

But wait...  L took a secret shot of me scurrying back to the car from the bluffs, 
a vision in leggings with my hands balled up inside my sweatshirt.  
Brrrrr, I hate to be cold!


9 comments:

  1. Beautiful shots! It's a good thing you captured the sunshine for that brief time!
    I haven't seen the sun shining at all today. We're getting rain/snow here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like these! Not surprisingly, you have a good eye.

    At Oceanside, it was sunny till 3 PM and then we had many downpours, some of them fierce!

    Really fun, though.

    We went to see the Mormon Battalion exhibit in San Diego, too. Pretty impressive.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the picture of the couple on the bench. Now we know where Katie gets it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! Wish I lived closer so we could go out and shoot "whatever" together :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos of your pretty area...we are getting snow as we speak...again! Yuck...think I'll come visit even if just for a few hours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think these are lovely! A great representation of a lovely day. I admire your get out and "goedness" :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pic in black and white of the older couple. I know what you mean about being shy when shooting. I wonder if people will think I'm some sort of weirdo taking shots of people I don't know! I'm getting freer though and I can just say, hey, I'm a blogger! Love seeing flowers, water, warmth, since we're getting snow...again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures! I really love that area.
    Last year at this time my husband and I took a trip to your area there and it was sunny, warm and beautiful- we stayed at Huntington Beach but drove down to Balboa.
    It was also the weekend that the Hurricane hit and they closed the beaches for an afternoon ha ha that was fun! Got some great pics of that!
    I love your picture of the flowers with the blue sky in the background - it says Happy and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good work- you got some really great shots. I'm not so patiently waiting for spring to get here. We keep getting a taste of it, just to have the snow come right back and ruin everything. I'm done with winter already.

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed