Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Thursday, February 17, 2011

L and the Sick Day

My house is a sick house.  L started to come down with something last night.  He was achey and feverish.  I bundled him up in bed with lots of pillows and tried to make him comfortable.  We had eaten dinner and had watched the Lakers get their lunch fed to them by Cleveland.  I think their humiliation toppled the last defense against the flu that L had, because right after that he started to feel sick.

First he came up to my office and laid down on my new couch.  On my new pillows.  With his sick head.  I tried not to notice, and to be very sympathetic.  Because I'm a giver like that.  And because I love him like no other and I need to share my things with him even if he's sick.  I sat down by him and rubbed his feet while I read "On The Corner of Bitter and Sweet" on my Kindle.  (Very good book by the way - thanks to Sue for the suggestion awhile back!)  The foot rub didn't cure him, but it DID almost put him to sleep, so I made him swallow about 6 vitamin D capsules and a glass of Emergen-C and get in bed.  That is my secret weapon against colds and flu.  I knew we needed to get lots of sleep but I was so conflicted (as usual) between sleep and whatever was on TV at 10:00.  In the end, sleep won out because I figured I'd need lots of sleep to ward off the dreaded sickness myself.  And so far, so good.

L tried to get up and go to work this morning, but no dice.  He was woozy and feverish after just a few minutes of being up.  Back to bed.  I was jealous.  I wanted to crawl back into bed and nap along with him.  Instead, I trudged off to work.  I kept thinking about how nice it would be to be home napping.  But then I remembered that if I were home I probably wouldn't be napping.  I'd be running up and down the stairs serving Diet Coke and Emergen-C.  I'd be massaging feet.  At best I'd be playing Angry Birds on my phone.  It was probably better to be at work today.  (But don't tell L I said that...)  L texted me a bunch of times from his iPhone until I told him to knock it off and get some sleep.

When I got home tonight there was soup percolating in the crock pot, and a baguette of bread waiting to be sliced.  Hmmm... L must feel better!  But when I went upstairs he was in the same position I'd left him in this morning: supine on the bed.  I was jealous.  He does feel better (Yay - thanks Vitamin D!) but not 100%.  I opened the window a crack to let in some fresh air, and let the sick air out.

My friend Wendy sent me a nice card in the mail and it absolutely made my day.  I wondered why I never remember to send cards in the mail, since I enjoy getting them so much.  I'm an impatient person and emails are so much quicker.  So easy, and you don't have to have stamps (which I never do).  But isn't it exciting to get something in the mail that is not a bill, that has a pretty stamp on it, and just looks like fun before you even open it?  So much better than an email.  Better than a text message.  And I don't even know how to tweet.  I will send more cards - to my grandkids, to my family, to my friends.  Its such a nice thing to do.  And I'm pretty sure it wards off sickness by making your heart happy.

 

6 comments:

  1. DId you take this picture using the settings I showed you? Very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope he's feeling better and you haven't gotten it!

    Nice to come home to dinner in a crock-pot. Did he make it in his sleep?

    Take care and enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hate when tha happens...so hard to see those you care about sick! I'll be over with chicken soup to help make it better! Hope things get better and have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. UPDATE: L is all better. Megadose of Vitamin D does it again. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sick days are no fun, unless they're 'sick days' that you get to play. Glad he's better and you're unafflicted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, my hubby got sick too...hmmm, he does read the blogs but I doubt it's contagious over the internet! He's feeling better but not quite 100%..I don't want to be sick but would love to lose some #s like he did...glad your hubby is better too!P.S...I so want to see flowers, like yours in this post, in my yard soon!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed