Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Friday, March 4, 2011

I've Got Some Good News & Some Bad News...

Which would you like first?  Good news?  Don't blame you.  We found out this week that L's oldest son, ("our" third oldest child) Tim is engaged!  He lives in New York City, has been a school teacher, and recently decided to go back to school to get another Masters degree - this time in Social Work.  He's about to graduate, and has been dating Autumn, who is an actress.  Everyone else got to meet her recently when she and Tim were here in Los Angeles for a meeting of some sort she had.  They all got together one weeknight in Los Angeles at 6pm for dinner.  I work in South Orange County.  Ever try to get to Los Angeles from South Orange County by 6pm?  You'd have to leave work by 2 or 3:00.  And you still might be late.  So I am the only parent type person who hasn't met her.  I hear she's delightful so I'm looking forward to having my chance.

Tim decided to propose one afternoon in Central Park.  Luckily a bystander with a camera and quick reflexes shot the whole thing and offered the images to them later.  Here's how it went:

Tim has romance in his soul and delivers the big question

The ring is slipped on

And then Autumn really gets to admire it

A big hug but she's still looking at the ring!


And it IS pretty... nice manicure, Autumn!

The happy couple!

We don't really know much else at this point.  We've heard they'd like to have the wedding in the fall but... can they pull off a fall wedding?  In NYC?  Time will tell.  No matter when it is, we're all excited to welcome Autumn into the family - and I'm still looking forward to meeting her.  I haven't heard Tim sound this happy... well... EVER.


Now... for the bad news.  Remember how I was worried about company layoffs?  Well, it happened.  Thursday morning we were dealt the near death blow.  Near death because it doesn't actually happen until June 30th.  The company decided to close all of its district offices (of which we are one) and most of it's regional offices, leaving open only Parsippany NJ, Minneapolis MN, Atlanta GA,  and San Francisco, CA.  {insert sad face here}  The offices will close by the end of April, and then we will work from home offices until June 30th, at which time the admins' jobs will be eliminated.  {insert REALLY sad face here}  I've worked for this company for 9 years, and although it drives me crazy sometimes I've enjoyed it overall.  Well, as much as you can enjoy work, I've enjoyed it.  And I love my boss.  He was so distraught the morning they told us that I felt I had to be strong to comfort HIM.  
Now, the silver lining is that there are 3 jobs available in each region that us admins can apply for.  If we get it, we will work from home (BONUS!) and will do (I think) many of the same things we've always done.  The downside is that we won't be working directly with the same sales teams - it will be more removed and spread out.  But the upside is that we would have a job and we wouldn't have to uproot insurance and life as we know it.  For the last 2-3 years the admins in our region have been forced to take on 2 sales districts and many extra responsibilities, for no more pay.  We were lucky to have a job, right?  But secretly we complained and felt overworked.  But now, that same downsizing of admin positions has worked in our favor.  Our region has only 4 admins competing for 3 positions.  Other regions have as many as 8 or 9 admins competing for their 3 positions.  I'm in a very good position right now.  I am still looking and will also apply outside the company (anyone know of any openings?), but I'm really really hopeful that I'll get one of those positions.

So the last couple of days have been surreal.  I've received emails from people I work closely with, as well as others all over the country expressing their dismay at the layoffs.  People have been so kind.  Every single one of my sales reps have written emails to the regional VP (who is in charge of choosing the lucky 3!) singing my praises, and letting him know I should definitely have the job.  My boss keeps buying me lunch and making lists of people he can network with on my behalf.  (Did I mention that he is the nicest man?)  We've had such a good working relationship that I was thinking today about how sad I will be on that last day of working directly for him.  He'll be a little lost without me - I am like his work wife.  (Side note: his real life wife's name is also Karen, and sometimes he emails me personal notes when he clicks on the wrong email address.  And one time he called me honey by mistake.  :-)  I'm going to miss him.)  He even said he would pray that I would get the job, and then added that he hardly ever does that.  I took that as a compliment.

So there you are.  The next few weeks will fly by.  Before you know it, the last day in the office will be here, and I'll have to say goodbye to the place I've gone 5 days a week for the past 9 years.  Hopefully by then I will know whether or not I have that other position (please oh please oh please oh please...)  Seriously.  I'm too old to want to start over somewhere else.  On the other hand, I've been surprised at my resilience and strength the past couple of days.  I feel pretty calm.  I feel that everything will be OK as soon as the dust settles.  And WOW - good thing I just got my home office in shape, huh?  That was timely.

A week of impending weddings, and uncertainty.  A week of extremes.  A week of being so exhausted you fall asleep immediately, but when you wake up in the middle of the night your thoughts are racing with all of the things that need to be done, and you can't get back to sleep.  I hope that part settles down because it's giving me a headache.

12 comments:

  1. First, Congrats to Tim and Autumn..and by the way, I love her name. Perfect for an actress! She's a beauty and they make a sweet and handsome couple. Good luck to them. Fall weddings can be so beautiful. My first thought about your job situation was sadness and concern, but you have it all under control and I bet you will get one of the "at home" positions. Then I too thouht, wow, good thing she finished her cute office! So good luck there and if you would like to move to Ohio and be a surgical first assitant, we could use you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--big things going on in your life! It gives me a headache just reading about them--I don't know how you do it in real life so gracefully!
    Congrats to the engaged couple and prayers to you for your next little while of job upheaval --hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen that is alot to deal with in a week.
    First I'll comment on the bad news - I watch the news and they keep saying that the economy is getting better and that the job situation is also getting better - I for one have not believed it one bit. I am still hearing/seeing people lose their jobs all the time. It is a bummer about your job but WOW how good you must feel to know you have so many people rooting for you and telling the powers that be that you would be a good pick for one of the new jobs! I certainly hope you get it!!!
    As for you boss, I had to laugh that he called you honey once. Ha ha Bosses like that are one in a million.

    As far as the Central Park engagement - HOOOOOWWW Romantic!! They are a beautiful couple and I think it is soooo soooo cool that some stranger caught the whole thing in pictures. What a neat treasure that will be to them!
    They are both literally beaming in that last picture. Congrats to your family!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, first of all, congrats to Tim and Autumn. (Her name suits her perfectly!) And whoever took those pictures is an artist! What a gift he or she gave the bride-and-groom-to-be. I get goosebumps just looking at the photos.

    Secondly, I am sending big, BIG hugs...and I am praying that you will get the new (old) job. Having said that, I feel sure that you will. Absolutely certain.

    Did I ever tell you I have excellent instincts about such things?

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay- a wedding! And yay- working from home- you have it nailed I'm sure! I'll still pray that it all works out just right for you anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She looks like a cute girl. Too bad you haven't met her yet! Yikes! It's wonderful to see our kids happy and making good choices.
    So sorry about your job. It's hard to leave people we come to know. I hope you get to work from home. That will be a blessing to still have a job!
    Good luck and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have such nice supportive readers Mom! I'm sure things will work out. Some how they always do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Work / home, 24/7,? Is this good?
    Where will you go to escape?
    Ohio sounds good!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katie: Yes, I do have the nicest readers. I consider them friends. I find things DO work out. It's the in between of not knowing how that stresses me out. You know me - I like to plan.

    Shaws: Ohio is lovely and and wouldn't that be a beautiful place to run to - as soon as it warms up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been gone the past few days, but now I get your comment on my blog. Whew. So sorry about the layoff. Everyone seems to think things are getting better, but I wonder.
    And congrats on the wedding. It will be when Tucker is in NYC . . . !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to the beautiful, beautiful couple!!! That is such exciting news for your family! Autumn (love the name by the way) has the most gorgeous color hair! They look so happy!
    I am so sorry to hear about your job. I will say a prayer for you. Change is always hard but somehow I have a feeling things are going to work out very well for you.
    Thinking of you and sending a hug your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been catching up. Sounds like the best of times and the worst of times. I'm excited about Les Mis for you. It really will be something to look forward to. I promised my kids we'd go in July when it comes to Phoenix and the tickets are already sold out. I'll have to buy from a scalper.

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed