Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Polishing The Exterior, Preparing The Interior

This is the week.  The INTERVIEW WEEK.  And I don't mind telling you that I've worked myself up into a little panic over it.  Some of it resolved on Saturday when I made a pilgrimage to Loft and found that the entire store - including sale items - was 30% off.  I was kind of hoping to find a dress, but I found out that I won't be wearing any of their dresses until sometime in the future when I'm several pounds less fluffy.  (Wow.  That wasn't pretty...)  I tried on many things, got hot and frustrated in the little dressing room, and ended up finding a couple of things that will go with a skirt I already have.  The thing I'm most excited about is a black cropped jacket, originally $90, marked down to $69, which I then got for about $50.  Beautifully made and all lined.  So I've got my interview ensemble.
I also got my hairs and nails did.  So my coif is trimmed and shiny, the color is fresh, and my nails are perfect.  I got one of those shellac manicures - the polish lasts for 2 weeks without chipping.  It's awesome.  It's also a little pricey but this week I need the extra confidence boost.
I keep getting ideas for things to add to my interview presentation - so typical that they're coming to me last minute - my best ideas ALWAYS come to me in the 11th hour.  I don't know why, but it seems to be the way I'm wired.  I'm feeling pretty good about the whole thing, but I think that's what's scaring me.  You know, like I'll get there and realize I forgot something really crucial while I was feeling so good about being me.  I kept hearing about everyone putting together a little package to present and that's when I started to sweat.  I mean, I was just going to go and wing it.  When I said that to L he almost fell down laughing, and said it was so me.  So now that I'm copying everyone else and putting together a package, I'm doubting my own good sense and judgement, which has led to my present case of nerves.
*just breathe*
Luckily, I have a dear friend who lives in the Bay Area who invited me to spend the day Wednesday and then overnight at her house.  It will be a welcome distraction and will keep me from picking at my manicure.  Hopefully it will keep me from busting out a big zit on my face the night before the interview - the cruelest twist of random fate.  A good friend, laughter, a good night's sleep - all of these are part of the recipe for remaining calm and blemish free.  I'm starting to be grateful for all of those piano recitals, church talks, and countless other nerve wracking experiences through the years.  I think because of those things, I'm a little more confident facing the big boys up in San Francisco.  I mean, if I can memorize an entire sonatina and play it for a judge, or speak in front of an entire congregation on charity, surely, surely I can speak intelligently about a job I've had for the past 9 years.  Right?  *nodding vigorously*  Right.  Yeah - I hope I don't turn into an idiot, too.


9 comments:

  1. You are prepared, you look lovely,you will be wonderful. I don't even need to say good luck, because you won't need it. I'll say have fun instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Laraine. You're all set and more than ready for this!

    At this point, just relax and enjoy the ride. And enjoy your lovely friend, too, who (rumor has it) is fascinating company and practically perfect in every way.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember when you were describing your job to me. I've come to the conclusion that indispensable-ness there of was you- not the position.

    Have fun with Sue- and take her advice! She is a veritable fount of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be rooting for ya! Enjoy your day with your friend and just relax, you might give her a hug for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope it all went great! You sound well prepared and gorgeous darling just gorrrrgeousssss!!

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sound like a fabulous package dah-ling! :0)

    I hope all goes well.

    I am am plagued by "long after brilliance". As in, long after it's over I can think of the brilliant thing I should have done. So you are way ahead of me!

    Remember how important you are to so many people, chin up and all that-----go get 'em!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking of you, Karen! You sound perfectly prepared! I am hoping all is going well. Take care and keep us posted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOU'LL DO GREAT!! YOU'RE CUTE AND NOW POLISHED TOO...YOUR ARE RIGHT, ~JUST BREATHE!! Sorry about caps but that's that emphasis needed to be said anyway. Getting the outfit on sale was a coup! And if we could be a help to each other...you are a few pounds less fluffy....I'm a few more and willing to donate!!
    Really, -you WILL do well, and here's a hug and good luck wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so behind in commenting! I hope all went well with the interview. I know you will do just great! I loved the posts about Salt Lake City. The last time I went to 'mecca', as I call it, was when #2 son graduated BYU. Fun times and you're right about the beautiful churches. Great pics you took! The Temple looked so beautiful! Once when we were there we were going to go to the Temple. When I looked at my recommend it was expired..figures! Maybe we'll get back out west again someday and I'll get that opportunity. Glad you had a fun time, even with the hotel being a bit nuts and the weather too!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed