Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Good and Getting Better

I'm better today.  I've spent the last two days feeling numb and depressed.  I've worked and felt resentful. I went to the dentist and got my teeth sparkling clean.  (I liked that part.)  Everywhere I go, I picture myself working there.  So far, nothing has felt like a solid fit.  I've reached out to business friends, and I'm meeting one for dinner next week.  Networking, networking, networking.
L has been sick and I haven't wanted to stress him out any more than I already have.  So we hadn't talked about anything for the last 2 days.  I felt sooooo alone.  It felt like I was going through it solo.  Today we talked.  L was home sick (feeling better though) and at lunchtime we went for a walk in the warm sunshine.  It felt great.  The neighborhood is a completely different place during the week in the daytime.  Moms out walking with their babies, older men strolling, retired folks out washing cars or tinkering in their garage.  It felt good to get out and walk in the middle of the day, and finally get to talk about what just happened.
L understands.  He always understands.  He went through a layoff himself 5 years ago.  He recognized the phases I'm going through and told me it will get better.  We'll be fine.
Another good friend in Washington lent me her expertise on the subject of unemployment and took some of the mystery out of WhatToDoNext.  We had a long long talk last night and we comforted each other in many areas on many different levels.  She is such a good friend and I always feel good after a long visit with her.
One of my sales reps who also was just laid off called me again today.  I felt like I was doing slightly better than he is.  Of course, in his case, there was a lot more money lost, so that's part of it.  But he's like me - just feeling a little WHAT THE HECK??!?  We're not sure how this all happened (although in talking to many people it's becoming more clear, and it all has to do with numbers and quotas and not so much with performance.)  We just wrestled crocodiles and lost.  But we'll take it a day at a time, get organized, and figure it out.  Maybe we'll throw in a lunch date next week.  That would be nice - he was/is one of my favorites.
So I'm in search of the answer to What Do I Want To Do? for the next 7 years or so.  I've been thinking it would be nice to have something less hectic, less chaotic, less stressful.  A quiet office, a peaceful space - that all sounds so nice.  But let's be real: I'll accept just about anything that's offered within reason.  But I'm so all over the place that I could have a completely different opinion tomorrow.  The point is that I'm feeling better and more optimistic.  And I can almost hear opportunity knocking.



On a different note: what's everyone doing for Mother's Day?  I feel like I'm just coming out from under water and I'm waaaay behind schedule on a lot of things.  I'd like to steal some of your good ideas because I have no plan.

7 comments:

  1. Glad you're feeling a little better. Wish I could spend Mother's day with you! It'll be good to see you in a couple weeks though :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. {{{{{{{{Karen}}}}}}}}

    I'm glad you're feeling better and getting your feet back under you again. I think opportunity will come knocking very soon.

    As for Mother's Day, only Ryan will be in town, as Karen and Bobby are spending a long weekend in Monterey for their anniversary. So I'm just letting Dave and Ryan take care of the arrangements, whatever they may be. The one thing I do know is that I will be doing NOTHING AT ALL for the whole day.

    And that sounds like heaven!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been there done that. What I did, got a really unimportant job and just treaded water until I retired, I felt great just wound slowly.
    Ps I know it's awful to lose a job, chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh--I am so glad you are doing even a little bit better! Baby steps!
    As for Mothers Day--I am not even sure what is happening around here. I am like Sue. What ever happens--happens--but whatever it is--I am seriously doing nothing!

    Hugs to you---

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully I'll be eating breakfast in bed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you were able to finally talk to your husband about it. It's a hard thing to go through and I'm glad you're hearing some knocking from opportunity. Soon you'll answer the door and like what you find.

    I hope you have a Happy Mother's Day. We're having taco salad fixins for the meal. That's about it but I think I'm gonna love it!

    Take care and have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Give yourself credit for a very stressful spring...not only losing a job but a grandmother too, -so hard! Sometimes, destressing however you can, would be good. Glad you an talk to your hubby and network with friends. The next chapter of your worklife will be good and maybe different but it does make you appreciate a job, huh?
    I have not changed mine but realize I am lucky to have mine after watching my daughter scramble to find one and is still subbing (teaching). We are computerizing everything this summer and that is where my stress is. It is taking a LOT of time, many classes and much extra work hours. I keep trying to remind myself that it will all be worth the effort!
    Good Luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed