Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Monday, May 16, 2011

Next Household Chef

I've slacked long enough.  I'm home all day - working, yes, but I'm ready to start taking over my share of the cooking.  L may not be as enthusiastic about this idea once we get going as I tend to be more spendy than he is at the grocery store.  When he shops he just goes along grabbing this or that, not knowing exactly what he's going to make out of all of it.  He likes to chop and dice more than I do.  I like to buy handy little helpers where the work is already done for me, like good sauces and marinades.  L always cooks something good, but he has a long drive after every work day, and he deserves to come home to a dinner that's all ready to be eaten - and one that didn't take me all day to put together.
When I shop, I know exactly what meals/recipes I'm shopping for and my choices are more deliberate.  (Except for that jar of lemon curd or that box of vanilla Jo-Jo's)  I like to buy specialty items like delectable sauces or unusual ingredients.  So tonight when I needed sesame oil, it wasn't just a random selection, it's for a beef noodle bowl.  We're having a roast one night, and then using leftover slices of beef in a salad another night.  Apple and cinnamon stuffed chicken with mashed potatoes and a corn and zucchini mix.  Linguine another night with a creamy roasted red pepper sauce, paired with a salad and crusty bread.  Yikes - longer walks?  Yes please.
It's been awhile since I've had more than occasional kitchen duty.  L comes home and starts chopping and sauteing and I just let him.  I hate coming home and trying to figure out what to cook.  I am more of a planner, not as spontaneous.   We're both good cooks, we just have completely different styles, and hopefully L will enjoy not having to think about it for the next while.
I had big plans to make Pioneer Woman's "Knock You Naked Brownies" (search for the recipe on her site - it almost made me drool reading about it) but we were shopping at Henry's - a semi organic healthy sort of grocery store, and they don't have such things as caramels or German Chocolate cake mixes.  They do have chocolate chips, but they're organic and sweetened with grain.  (??!!???)  I'm very fond of chocolate chips sweetened with sugar so I'll just have to take myself to the evil regular grocery store for those "specialty" supplies.
While we were shopping, L managed to sneak an apple pie into the cart AND ice cream.  He does love pie and ice cream.  *10 more sit ups*  I'm excited to start cooking, I really am.  I've pretty much had a vacation from the day to day cooking for the past 11 years.  *I KNOW, right?*  But L seemed to love it so.  Really. He did.  *nodding vigorously*

*

In other news, I had an interview today.   It was just a phone interview, but it went well, and I was told to expect a call to set up another one sometime this week.  So we'll see.  I feel like I'm jinxing myself, but I knew you'd want to know.  The best part is that if I get this job, I'll still get to stay with the same company and still work from home.  *doing the happy dance*  That means I can still do my laundry while I work.  And, you know - cook fabulous dinners.

11 comments:

  1. Crossing all my fingers, toes, and even my eyes that they get a clue and hire you!!!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so happy for you!!! Wouldn't that just be wonderful??!!

    Good luck on that cooking thing--you all sound like gourmet chefs over there compared to what I do over here---yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I will be thinking about you! They would be fools not to hire you!!

    And those "knock you naked" brownies sound delicious (and hilarious!) I love Pioneer Woman's blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think if you get the job - and I am soooo crossing my fingers for you!!! That you should definately make the knock you naked brownies!!

    P.S. Every recipe on that woman's site is amazing and fattening - ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds to me like you are a great chef, lots of tempting things coming L's way. Lucky man. When I cook, I cook enough for three or four days, we eat the same thing for two or sometimes even three days and the rest goes in the freezer for when neither of us feels like cooking. I actually like to cook, but have always done so for a large bunch, so it comes easy for me.

    And of course, my comment about getting hired is, how can they not? So we'll all keep hoping for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds to me like you are a great chef, lots of tempting things coming L's way. Lucky man. When I cook, I cook enough for three or four days, we eat the same thing for two or sometimes even three days and the rest goes in the freezer for when neither of us feels like cooking. I actually like to cook, but have always done so for a large bunch, so it comes easy for me.

    And of course, my comment about getting hired is, how can they not? So we'll all keep hoping for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know why they published mine twice. I even tried to delete the last one and it didn't delete. Oh well, please excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I could be there for your cooking :) That job sounds like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm contemplating starting a food blog- since you know I rarely ever leave my house and there's only so much a hermit can blog about. I'll think of some good dinners for us to make- you can be a test kitchen for me (which in no way shape or form resembles a guinea pig)

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed