Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Thursday, June 30, 2011

End Of An Era

Last day of work today, guys.  I jumped on the day early at 7:30am, as I was worried I wouldn't have enough time to finish everything I wanted to.  No extra chances for anything after today - my email and phone line would be shut down right after closing time.  I had so much work to do in the first place, (getting PO's collected to earn my bonus!) but I really wanted to have the time to talk to the special friends I wanted to, and to be able to thoughtfully compose and send a goodbye and "thanks for the fun" email to my team.  It was hectic, and it literally took me right up to 5pm.  I didn't shower or get dressed until the end of my work day (I'm such a pig) but I did have time to finish everything up right.  It was a good feeling, albeit bittersweet.  I'm going to miss these people, as maddening as they could be.  A couple of them - recent hires - who I hadn't gotten to know all that well called and said some really sweet, supportive things, and then I felt bad that I wouldn't have the opportunity to know them better.  And my favorites? - I could barely talk to them without getting teary.
Life keeps moving on, doesn't it?  It's a good thing it does, so we don't have too much time to wallow in melancholy and memories.  I could have rolled around in this for days, but I'm trying hard to just move on. It was tempting to keep my office set up as is, laptop connected, printer plugged in.  But when L and I came home from dinner and I could see that my phone line had been shut down and rerouted to the "replacement" by the company, I figured I wouldn't waste any time dismantling everything.
And it looks so nice and clean!  I've cleaned out the file cabinet and everything that's not being sent back is in the trash.  Love it.  And sad at the same time.  *sigh*  It'll take a few days to get used to it.
I believe I do have a job in the works.  Very hopeful.  I was able to discuss the possibility of it today, and it looks promising.  I'll keep you posted on that one.  If it works out, it will be a good thing for me.

My little Mia had her "real" birthday yesterday.  (The party she had in Mesa, AZ was way early so she could have her cousins and everyone over before they moved.)  I called her in the morning and she was so excited that it was her special day (again).  She told me that her cousin Santana told her that birthdays are not lucky or special days, and I told her that Santana was crazy.  That should settle it.
Mia's mom has a very clever friend that can crochet miracles.  Just look at the darling birthday headband she made for Mia's Special Day!


I don't know how she figured out how to crochet a cupcake (with sprinkles!) complete with flowers and a butterfly, but she did.  She has a shop on Etsy called Tanyas Tangles - you really should check it out.  Very clever and cute stuff.
Another pic of the birthday girl strutting her stuff:


She got to have lunch at McDonald's and play in the kidspace area as long as she wanted.  Her cousins Lexi and Matthew sent her birthday presents.  It was a good day for a very happy birthday girl.  You'll notice in both pictures Mia is also wearing a cute necklace.  Her mom makes those - MiaMoo Designs.  If you visit the website (or her Facebook page!)  you can see and buy her latest creations (this one is from the Lollipop Collection) and they're such fun to wear!  Katie's friend created her this little sign:

Indeed.

Tomorrow I'm going to spend the day with my friend Judy.  She lives in Huntington Beach and we're going to walk the pier, and just have a nice relaxing day.  It will feel good to decompress and unwind from this crazy last week of work.  Time enough next week to figure out my next move and work out details.  Stay tuned - I'm not dead yet.

6 comments:

  1. Soak up the ocean breeze for me! Oh how I wish I could have a beach day with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure today was bittersweet. Endings are always hard for me...

    Can't wait to hear about this new job opportunity!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck Karen- Change is Good!! Life is too boring with out it :) Enjoy your time off!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like a beach day with you and Katie too! So proud of you Karen, the end of an era is hard. I remember my last day at Boeing, I felt exact bitter sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot even imagine how bittersweet your day was that last day. But you handled it so well. You are awesome - seriously!!!

    I hope you had a wonderful time on the pier with Judy (I love that Pier!!).

    You are such a great example and I am glad you cleaned everything and are ready to move on - YOU GO GIRL!!

    Have a wonderful 4th with your wonderful man :-D

    P.S. The crocheted cupcake is amazing and your granddaughter is always beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is wonderful news about your new job opportunity! And I know how closing a chapter is always hard--but that means we get to start a new chapter, right?
    The crocheted cupcake and necklace are AWESOME!! I will definitely check out the links! Mia is adorable! So precious and I am so glad she had a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed