Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Going Bohemian & All Chef-Like

Today is a funky day.  I have a hair appointment in 3 days (thank goodness).  My hair, I feel, is tired of being blown dry, grown weary of being tortured each morning by flat irons or curling irons.  And I'm bored, quite frankly, of messing with it every day.  (See what working from home does to you?)  I'm giving the hairs on my head a little gift today.  They are baby fine, and alternate between loose corkscrews in the back and sides, to mild waves on top, and today - maybe today only - I am letting them freely frizz, curl, what have you.  Bounce, and curl, and be out of control to their delight and freedom.  They deserve a rest from product and heat.  And I deserve a rest from 30 minute styling sessions.  (I have a lot of hair.)  Let the frizz and volume disguise the gray today.  Today I am bohemian and free from styling woes.
We watched the movie "The Devil Wears Prada" the other night.  I remember the first time I watched it I thought that Anne Hathaway looked sooo much better after she was styled up, her hair smooth and coifed. This time I wasn't so sure.  She's hard to wreck, but I sort of loved her free, no fuss look.  Maybe it's just where I'm at these days.  I see no one each day except the gardeners and the random runner when I go out to walk.  I'm in a different mode from when I had to get up at 5:30am to slather, smooth, straighten and primp myself into a corporate image.  I'm sort of happy with the casual look I see in the mirror these days.  I'm rested, the RA is taking a mini hiatus, and I don't feel the need to look perfectly put together every day.  Before you start feeling sorry for L, just know I'm a lot more fun this way.  And I'm more punctual, which is big with L.
And I've been cooking.  Oh my goodness, have I been cooking!  I fiddle around in my office during the day, alternating between what little for work there is to do (when you're being phased out, all of a sudden there's not that much to do), and doing little chores around the house or out on the patio.  I have time to read in the sun a little bit every day.  And I have time to think about, and prepare dinner.  So far, I've mostly been drawing from The Pioneer Woman recipes.  They're glorious.  And easy.
One night we had a chicken salad.  But before you start yawning, here's what it had in it: diced red onion, diced celery, fresh sweet corn (you heard me: as in NOT COOKED), sliced grilled chicken breast.  The dressing was a light, fresh creamy dill dressing consisting of sour cream, half and half, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, the juice of one lemon, and dill.  Hmmm... maybe not so light, but it TASTED light.  And you barely put enough on to just coat everything.  Then you tossed in some fresh blueberries. Yep - it added a light touch of sweetness besides the corn.  The final touch was a tossing of feta cheese on top.  It was YUM.  We decided that maybe next time we'd BBQ the chicken with just a little bit of raspberry chipotle sauce to give the whole thing a little sweet, spicey kick.
Last night we grilled ribeye steaks in 2 Tablespoons of butter.  While that was going we sauteed and carmelized slices of yellow onion.  When they were carmelized, in went a cup of heavy cream.  (heaven help me)  When that reduced down to about half, in went 1/2 c of blue cheese.  When that was melted you put a scoop on each plate and placed your steak on top.  I can't even tell you how divine, how DECADENT that was.  It was a Heart Attack Steak.  I had to put in extra duty walking last night but I am unrepentant.  I would make that again in a second.
Tonight: grilled chicken and pineapple quesadillas, and some leftover fajitas.
So my hair might be frizzy and crazy, I may not wear much makeup, and I definitely don't fuss much with wardrobe *combined sad sigh for L*  BUT -
There's an amazing dinner prepared every night by moi, and I'm happy, healthy and relaxed.  *fist pump for L*  And I haven't had to fill my car up with gas in 5 weeks.  I think that makes the bohemian wife with the crazy hair more worth it to him.

7 comments:

  1. The pictures of you and your bohemian hair are very cool!! Love the colorful ones at the bottom too!!
    Why does hair get in our way sometimes. Remember Sinead O'conner? I once wished I could look that good bald - ha ha!!
    You have gorgeous hair - so so pretty!! Somedays you just have to let your hair down - Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Bohemian hair! And if that's the way you're cooking, I may come and visit sooner than you think!!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bohemian hair rocks! That chicken salad sounds delicious and the steak...divine! Sounds like there are some perks to not having to work outside your home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do have a lot of hair, Karen, and I do like it. The recipes sound outstanding. Now you are getting into my mode. I just love trying new recipes and I will try a couple of yours. Pioneer Woman does have some amazing ones. I still have to cook some of the old favorites or I have an unhappy husband. He likes to try new things, but just not too often. My main thing is bread though. I love love love to make bread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so jealous! I'd love to work from home, but I don't think I could cook in my kitchen if I had just taken out an appendix or a gallbladder on the kitchen table! My hair is sort of curly crazy when long, but since I've had it short it's not as much work, and also not as much fun..I miss my longer hair. If I had patience I would let it grow out! The recipes sound so good. I love Pioneer Woman but I loaned out my cookbook and never saw it again...that will learn me not do that again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well it sounds like the lifestyle suits you! You look great in the pics and sound so happy in the post. That is a brilliant combo. I'm kind of a meat and potato gal (I know-nightmare) but I think its lovely that you are cooking each night and enjoying it. Hope it all continues to go well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for hippies!! I always told myself I'd never just let myself go. There are weeks when I don't make myself up at all except for church on Sunday, lol. Oh, well. I bet you look even more beautiful au natural : )

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed