Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Ladies Who Lunch

I had the best day today!  An acquaintance called out of the blue and invited me to lunch.  Do you know how long it's been since I could go have lunch with anyone socially on a school day?  (Too long, that's how long.)  And if that wasn't enough good stuff, when I was getting ready to go, a prospective employer called and wanted to make an appointment for a conference call interview with her whole team.  Would now be a good time?  Why yes, I thought - now is as good a time as any.  Let's just get it done.  So I called my friend and told her I'd be a little late.
The call went great! (At least I hope it did...)  When I talked to the team leader yesterday she told me that I was one of the top people on a very short list of applicants that they were considering.  So that helped up the confidence factor.  I felt like I answered all questions to their satisfaction - although I got a little stumped on that classic question "What are things you feel you could improve on?"  Not that I can't improve in dozens of ways, but which one to pick that would be the least harmful to mention?  All in all, I thought it went well, the group (which I've worked with in a limited capacity in my former job) was friendly, and when they asked me if it would be a problem to come to Minneapolis to train for a week, I took that as a very positive sign.  They will make their decision tomorrow.  Prayers please... multiples if possible...
Next on the agenda: lunch with my friend.  We went here:




and ate this:




Mmmmmmm... Pork Barbacoa Salad...  It's been awhile since I've been to Cafe Rio, and it was like going to an old friend's house for lunch.  An old friend who is a really really good cook.  I temporarily forgot about my diet.  Don't judge me - friends and lunch are an irresistible combination for me.  We had a great time talking about everything under the sun.  I don't know why it's so satisfying to get out with a friend and feel so comfortable that you can talk about anything, but it is.  It's good to connect, understand someone else's trials, and feel that yours are understood as well.  I learned some things about her that I didn't know before, and it made me like her even more.  We think a lot alike, and it was refreshing and surprising.  I think we'll do it again.  We may even grab the boys and have dinner.


So I've (almost) secured a job, and I made a new friend out of an old acquaintance.  It was a really good day.  A friend, a great interview, and Pork Barbacoa Salad all in the same day.  Things are looking up, and I'm the first to say that I appreciate that.
It feels kind of like this:



2 comments:

  1. Oh YAY Mom!!! Sounds like things are really looking up! And how FUN to go to lunch with Sue! I MISS Cafe Rio! Kids get free quesadillas ya know ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed