Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Lost In Free Time

A Saturday with not a lot to do.  Which I feel a little bit guilty about, as my friend Wendy has a daughter getting married today, and I'm sure her day is drama and chaos all rolled into one package.  Probably wrapped beautifully with a gorgeous bow, but drama and chaos nonetheless.  I have my task to perform: pick up the fruit trays at about 5pm and get them hence to the reception location.  My one recurring nightmare is that I'll arrive to pick them up and they won't be there.  *stop it, crazy imagination*  But until then, there's not a lot to do, so I'm sitting here letting my hair air dry as much as possible.  It's so hot I can't stand the thought of blowing heated air on my head for 20 minutes.
I got up and made pancakes today with some blueberries that needed to be used.  Lemon blueberry pancakes, because I folded lemon curd into them.  They were ok - tasted good - but I'm not a great pancake maker.  They were a little soggy.  I think the pan has to be really hot to give them that crispy edge?  That was L's consensus, anyway.  Try, try again.
After breakfast we headed out for a walk.  By this time it was about 10:00 and it was heating up outside.  We started over by our church at the bridle/hiking trail that starts across the street.  Lots of people were out with their dogs and bicycles and kids.  It made me wish for a bike (again).  The trail winds through homes and then ducks under a big street, coming out and up alongside a large church in our area.  Good to feel a little breeze at this point.  We'd passed couples, families, and one older man, and we all said a cheery "Good Morning" to each other.  On to the Nixon Library, where docents waited to give tours outside one of Nixon's old helicopters.  (Can you imagine what an oven that tour would be on a hot day?? No thanks...)  Other docents were giving tours through the old homestead and the gardens.  It's really a lovely property.
Not too much beyond that, we stopped and turned back.  It could feel the sun hitting me pretty strongly at that point, and I kept having to mop off my face with my top layered tank top.  (Yes, I am a hot mess when I exercise.  I drip in rivulets...)  Finally back to the car and we sped off to the gas station for a couple of cold, frosty Diet Cokes.  Ahhhhh...that's it...
A cool shower later and here I sit... waiting for my hair to air dry...  L has gone off to get a new tire put on the Exploder.  It's been an odd few days.  My life, my job is changing, and I'm not quite sure how things are going to go.  I've felt alternately anxious, depressed, and exhilarated.
I've been home with not much to do for the past week.  I'm a little disappointed in myself as I thought I would pull out projects, get busy, be creative.  I've done none of that.  I fought off a cold.  But I was hoping I'd get out and do more.  Be more disciplined with my time.  Accomplish something wonderful.  So that is my goal this next week - to make a list of things that I need or want to do.  And do them.  I may be searching your blogs for inspiration and a guiding light.  But no pressure.

6 comments:

  1. I hope you can find some projects to work on! Oh how I wish I had all that time to just sew, craft, photograph, or WHATEVER! Enjoy Mom! Mia wants to skype with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't read my blog. Nothing inspiring there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack was gone this week to Scout Camp and I thought I would accomplish all these lofty goals...closets that needed organized, yard work to do, I thought I would exercise tons and eat less...hahahah! Well, I got about 1% of that done. I just couldn't focus. We're still dealing with electric woes that hopefully will done this week, and frankly I just didn't feel like doing anything...sooooo. Just take it one step at a time. Your life has changed in many ways and once you find your "focus", I think you'll get back your groove. Change is hard. Hang in there! Your Saturday sounded like a pretty good start though. Hope the rest of the weekend is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm interested to hear more about these changes!

    In the meantime, I am singularly uninspired, so if you're looking to my blog for wisdom, that might just be a fruitless search...

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen,
    Thanks for picking up the fruit trays AND staying after to haul all that stuff home. Couldn't have done it without you, I mean it! Love your blogs!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not sure what the weather is like there but here is is SO HOT and I always feel so unmotivated when it's hot. I think that it's normal to have periods where we are productive and those where we are not-so-much. And most of my randomish little art projects just mean that I am avoiding laundry! HA! :)

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed