Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Liebster (Sweetheart) Blog Award

I was a little late getting to the party, but when I finally checked my blog this afternoon I found out that I'd been gifted with a little blog award:


Given to me by Sush at First Do No Harm, the Liebster Award (I am told Liebster is German for "sweetheart") is meant to connect us even more and spotlight new bloggers who have less than 200 followers.  I definitely fall into that category, and was thrilled to receive it from Sush.  I encourage everyone to check out her blog.  She's a southern gal, and gives the most delicious descriptions of her doings in a gracious, southernly way.  I'm addicted.
In addition, as part of receiving the award, we are also to pass it on to our own favorite blogs that we frequent (again, those with under 200 followers).  I read so many great blogs it was hard to choose, but of the ones that meet the criteria, here are some of my very favorites:


Life From The Bleachers - she's an involved mom, whose children are fast getting ready to fly the coop. I can relate to this lady, plus she describes her life in a way that makes me alternately laugh and cry - which automatically hooks me.  You'll love it, I promise.


Spots and Wrinkles - she had me at the title.  Grown kids spread out everywhere, a LOC (loveable old coot) by her side at home.  I relate to her love of home and love of family.  I relate to the problems of aging, and the wanting to come to the aid of needy family at the same time as wanting to be home taking care of your roses.  I relate to always being a wife and mother, as well as an individual.  A tricky act at best.  It's a satisfying, good-for-your-soul read.


Whispering Pines and Starkey Hollow - I'm cheating a bit here, and giving you a twofer.  I came across both of these blogs at virtually the same time.  They both live in Ohio, work at the same hospital, and are friends.  I like these blogs because: 1. They live in one of the most gorgeous areas of the country you could imagine and their blogs are full of pictures  2. I love reading about their family gatherings, and things they do that are different from my life  3. Nurses, and the knowledge they have, and the work they do, fascinates me.  They are sweet, down to earth ladies, and their blogs are full of weather and seasons and raging creeks that my world in Southern California doesn't contain.  It's a view into something different and quite beautiful.


Knees and Paws - I've just recently started reading this one, but it's an inspiration.  She is organizing a class to teach at the Y - a writer/illustrator class for home schooled children.  She describes a love of family and has her eye on what's important in life.  Reading her posts make me want to do good, or do more good.  Give this one a try.


Sweet Tea -  She writes about everyday observations and musings.  Things we all might notice or think about, but somehow take for granted.  I enjoy her posts, because they help me appreciate all of the little things that make a day wonderful.  She puts me in a good mood, starting with the title picture that tops her blog.


So there you have it - my fab five (or six) - depending on how you look at it.  We're all in our blog infancy, and we could all use more friends (who couldn't?)  Each one of them has inspired me in some small way, and I like that about many of the blogs I read.  Life is tough enough - I need the things I  surround myself with to help inspire me to be better, to do better, to do more.  These little fledglings do just that for me.  See if you don't agree with me.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Karen, Thank you so much for the liebster blog award! I appreciate what you wrote about my blog and was delighted by the sweet comment you shared. I look forward to having you as my newest blogging friend:) xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this award...you are right recognition feels great. You have no idea how wonderful the timing is.
    My love to you....
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful - Congratulations - You definately are a sweetheart :-D

    It will be fun to check out some new great blogs - I don't know any of them besides Donna's.

    Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you got this award because your blog is just like you...GREAT.

    =)

    PS. I love Whispering Pines, Starkey Hollow, and Life from the Bleachers, too. Haven't read the others, but will try to check them out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You silly! I love your blog and I want to thank you for this cool award and also for being such a great blog friend. I know we've never met, but I feel we would have a few good laughs if we ever did! I love Donna's blog too and because she's my BFF, I love her too! We would all have a bunch of laughs together! Thanks again! Now, I have to get out and start awarding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seem to remember you reading a pretty sweet blog called FarFromRefuge.blogspot.com. I am a little hurt you didn't mention me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karen...excellent choices and may I say only two were new to me! Thanks for steering me to two new friends and I'll be checking in with them often!

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen...I love you a little more today!! That was really nice, Thankyou!! Like you, i really enjoy reading about others lives in other parts of the country. You see them go through the same things you are but maybe a little braver or worse things and much braver, which makes you think a little more philosophically. Sometimes the encouragement you receive from blog buddies is also rewarding.
    This winter/spring was a tough one for me going through my daughter's divorce and parent issues. I hate to always go into it all but blogging is a way to reflect and proccess the "stuff" in life while relating with others lives. Thankyou, friend!!!! (OH, and I ditto Yaya's idea about just having lunch sometime to enjoy each other's company!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the award. You have some remarkable followers -- some of them must have gotten misdirected because they are following me :)
    You do good work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Karen. You are deserving of an award as you are such a good blogging friend. I love three of your favorites too and I will check out the others. Thanks for being such a good blogging friend to me and I am still sorry that I missed you at the beach this year. Maybe next year......

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! Blog awards are fun :)

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed