Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Saturday Scraps

PhotobucketMy new friend at Knees and Paws has introduced a "Saturday Scraps" meme.  We are to write or photograph memories, thoughts, whatever defines us.  We are joined in a crazy quilt of sorts through our fellow bloggers' individual squares of memory and experience.


One week of Constant Ankle Brace down.  I'm encouraged.  The swelling in my right ankle is down so much, and it's feeling very back to normal.  Because of this, I need to stay extra disciplined about wearing the brace until I see the doctor again.  It's so tempting to go without it - it's hot and uncomfortable - but I don't want the improvement to reverse because I got complacent.
L and I went for our first "real" bike ride on Saturday.  We took the bike trail along the Santa Ana Riverbed, starting at around 3:00 in the afternoon.  The temperature was perfect, and a light breeze was blowing.  The trail can get pretty crowded in the morning - lots of cyclists and walkers.  And, with my history of mowing things down, I didn't want to take chances by riding in a lot of cycling traffic.  We'd ridden around close to home a few nights during the week, and so I was pleasantly surprised at how I was able to keep up and not get too tired out.  Actually, what got tired first was my butt.  I am ok for the first little while but by the time we'd ridden a little over 3 miles, I needed to give my seat a rest from the bike seat.

 To our right, at this point, was the riverbed, and it was full of ducks, and those beautiful white ibis.  (Too bad L didn't get them in this shot.)  The ducks quacked happily and the ibis stood on their stork-like legs and watched us pedal past.
To our left was a park, and this is where we stopped to rest, in the shade of a covered bench that was complete with bike racks.  We drank our water and watched other cyclists and walkers go by.  L had his Precious with him (his i-Phone) and he turned on the i-Pod feature so we could listen to music.  Precious also has an app that kept track of our mileage and the time it took to reach said mileage.  (I TOLD you L was going to get that app!)
After a short rest we started back.  It soon became obvious that this way was more difficult as 1) We were going against the wind, and 2) It was more uphill.  No wonder that first half had seemed so pleasant!  But I was happy with myself - I was able to keep up the pace, and never once had to get off my bike and walk it up a hill.  I thought I might once, but I toughed it out.  Next time we go out, we'll have to try to go even farther.  I have a friend who, with her husband, has been riding for awhile now, and they rode to the beach and back on Saturday - 25 miles total!  She was so nice and encouraging and said we'd be up to that mileage in no time.  (Suddenly our 7.3 miles seemed teensy...)
But I'm pleased with myself - pleased that we'd made that much progress in a week.  I know I hold L back - he could do a lot more - but it's so kind of him to wait for Wobbly Me to build my strength up.  He is the best friend I could ever have.
The week coming up is a busy one.  There is work, and somewhere I have to squeeze in a visit to the rheumatologist.  Seems that he's unwilling to approve my Enbrel refill  since I haven't seen him in a couple of years.  My arthritis has been dicey lately so he's right to force me to come in - it'll be good to finally do it, actually.
And THEN -  on Friday its off to Denver to spend a long weekend with Rex, Ronna, Lexi, Matthew and Skylee.





We will have a tea party, I will cook all dinners, and I will spend as much time as possible playing with Lexi and Matthew, and perhaps holding and soothing Skylee back to sleep in the wee hours.  The weekend will go quickly - too quickly - and I want to enjoy EVERY MINUTE.  These little ones are so precious, and I have only short periods of time with them during the year.  So I pray for special health and strength to see me through days filled with reading stories, playing games, cooking dinners, rocking babies, and late night girl talk with Ronna.  These will be memories that I treasure forever after.

9 comments:

  1. What precious grandkids! Those pics alone are worth a million. You are doing so good with the brace and the bike riding- keep it up, but be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun to have the grandkids come! Glad your ankle is doing so much better so you can keep up with them...

    ;)

    PS. I love that you call the iPhone his "precious." I have to remember that one. One phone to rule them all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I just love Colorado. I love my hair in Colorado. Little to no humidity and those rockies...sublime.
    xox Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, I wish you could have been here a minute ago to see me clapping my hands like a little kid...I have to chuckle at myself because I'm giddy that you brought such a beautiful post to the "crazy quilt" of Saturday scraps. This is the first time I've seen pictures of Skylee...have you ever seen such a gorgeous newborn baby in your life? Look at her eyes! My heart melts. I'm excited for your progress with your ankle and hope you are able to enjoy every single minute of your visit with those sweet children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww..baby feet! (the only feet I do enjoy looking at!) Have a great time with Grandkiddos and I hope you are feeling up to all the activity. Congrats on the bike ride too....beautiful area to ride in! One of the girls I work with just did a 150mi bike ride for MS...yes, she has MS and is just an amazing example of what you can do when you put your mind to it. Looks like you're doing the same!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad your ankle is better!! That is great news.

    Those perfectly newborn-wrinkled baby feet are beautiful. LOVE it, Karen!

    And--yes those will be memories to treasure forever--all of them--but especially the rocking babies since those times are so fleeting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been too long since Jilda and I rode our bikes. They have been stored in the barn for so long, I'm guessing the tires will have to be replaced.
    Take care of yourself and enjoy them youngun's.
    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are doing better!
    And I was all ready to comment on all the grandchildren and your fun and then that picture of those cute, wrinkly, baby feet took my breath away!! For the love - they are sooo darling!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed