Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Monday, October 3, 2011

A Remarkably Unremarkable Weekend

There's a change in the air today - a slight hint of distant rain, combined with a cool breeze.  Rain is on the horizon, we hear, over the next day or two.  Autumn, although here officially, is still making it's grand entrance.  The weekend was characteristically warm.  After watching our church's conference broadcast from Salt Lake in the morning and early afternoon, we felt a little slow and lethargic.  Feeling a need to move, L and I took the bikes out on the bike trail on Saturday around 4pm.  It was lovely.  Most of the cycling crowds had cycled and gone.  There was shade over the trail in spots and it was a really enjoyable ride.  We rode 9 miles!  I remember feeling surprised at how easy the ride had felt and I was encouraged by the improvement.  Once home and cooled off, I felt like I could hop on my bike and do it again.  We grocery shopped afterwards and then drove down the hill to our local pizza place and shared a small pizza and some wings.  It was one of those unremarkable, yet totally enjoyable evenings shared between two people who are completely comfortable with each other.  The kind of evenings great weekends are made of - even though you can barely remember what you did afterwards.  I do remember starting to make a Christmas list... I know, I know... ALREADY.

L went to the trouble to snap a little picture of me on the bike trail during our rest stop.  Note the glowy complexion.  That's what 4 1/2 miles on a warm day does to you, my friends.  Pay no attention to the love handles and bulges.  I'm planning on them making a slow exit over the next few months.  Hope springs eternal...
Sunday was a slight repeat of Saturday, in that we spent the morning and afternoon again watching Conference from Salt Lake.  In our church, it's where you get the best spiritual lift, and kick in the pants to improve in this area or that.  After listening, you are ready to get out there and Do Good.  But being human, we need the pep talk and instruction in another 6 months, so every April and October we enjoy listening and finding spiritual strength in this way.
After conference L and I had planned to take the bikes out again.  We went a little earlier than we'd planned (and so it was a little warmer) because Mom and Dad called and wanted to come over.  They were probably feeling our lethargy of Saturday and needed to get out of the house.  No matter - we were making our skillet quiche thing that feeds an army, and we had a fresh loaf of rosemary sourdough bread to go with it.  But before they arrived we wanted to get our ride in, and our goal was to go 10 miles.  Piece of cake, we thought.  Yesterday's 9 miles was a walk in the park.  We chose to go a different direction on the trail, towards the beach.
I could tell by the time we'd gone a couple of miles, that this ride was much harder.  Maybe it was that we'd gone on a long (for us) ride the day before.  Maybe it was because it was hot.  Maybe it was the fact that the wind was blowing harder.  Or a combination of everything.  Whatever.  I thought I was going to die, and that I would never be able to sit down again.  But I didn't want to give up - I'd rather pull my eyelashes out than quit.  But I'm not above complaining and whining - which I did at the 5 mile mark as we drank our water.  And then we saddled up to ride back.  Ow. Ow. Ow. I think I need to get those padded cycling pants that L has, because my whole backside hurt.  Clearly I have miles to go before I'm really in shape.  But we did it! - 10 miles.  19 miles total for the weekend.  I'm stoked.
L is on his way home right now and we'll get on our bikes and go out again - but shorter because it'll be dark.  I don't know what we'll do when it gets dark at 5:00 - maybe I'll be more brave about riding on the street by that time.  But maybe not.  All I know is that I'm excited about the workout - it truly is work, and it's so good to feel that I'm finally doing something that gives my heart and muscles a workout without beating me up. (No trashcan run-ins lately...)
And hey - speaking of autumn, Katie just forwarded me the cutest picture of Hayden in a new little hat.  Is this not the cutest fall look?  If you like Etsy, look for Tanya's Tangles - she is the artist behind this amazing little hat.  I'm wondering if she makes them in Skylee's size?

And then, just for pure fun, here is another new one of Hayden.  I have no idea where the headpiece or tutu came from, but this picture is the stuff dreams are made of - well, at least THIS grandma's dreams!

16 comments:

  1. I don't think I've seen a cuter autumn little-girl look! That hat and brown coat are so perfect together. Very adorable! What a cutie. The pic of you looks great too. What love handles? Looking good.... Good for you gettin' out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on those super bike rides! I wish I had a good spot to ride, it's just too dangerous near my house...and too hilly! I enjoyed conference too, very good talks. That little girl is adorable, very girlie girl in her tutu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I just love that little pumpkin-hat cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a terrific weekend! You are doing great with your bike riding. It really does pay off in big ways. The pics are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really rooting for you with this biking thing! I'm young and sometimes I get pretty tired just biking the 2 miles to school. Feels good though, right? Back in the day I biked to the beach a couple of times. It was 21 miles from where I was starting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom, you're awesome! I wish Zach and I could go on bike rides together! It would do us both good. Maybe one day. I do need to get working out again on a daily basis. You're giving me motivation. YOu look fabulous! I saw no love handles :) The crown is by Ruby Blue who is also on etsy and the tutu is from Belly Bells Bowtique. I know she sells on FB not sure about etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS. That brown jacket is from gap and I got it 50% off of their already marked down price so I think I go it for $15 and it was originally $40! SCORE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you! I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You dear friend are an inspiration to us all! You just keep on keeping on! And like Kathi, I'm just seeing pure beauty in that picture of you!
    The fall picture of Hayden is precious but I'm all over that pink concoction!
    Hugs and keep it keeping on, I'm in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to buy that hat. It is just too cute to pass up. If they have it in Carli's size, that is.

    Good for you on the bike riding...and you are looking GREAT, by the way.

    I love the way you described conference for those who don't know what it is. Kinda perfect.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sue she can make any size :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe you road nine miles on your bike! Yikes, I don't think I could even go two blocks, maybe because I haven't ridden a bike for at least 20 years. They say, you never forgt though. Still, I can't even imagine trying. Good for you though. It is a great way to exercise (I do my stationary one in the winter when I don't have to compete with the heat in the garage)

    The pictures of Hayden are so darling. Both outfits are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've got to get our bikes out and oil them up.
    The weather is great for bike riding here.
    Loved the post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are one YOUNG grandama and I'm beyond impressed at all that bike riding. You inspire me!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that last photo just melt my heart! I'm a sucker for pink fluffs and frills! I have three little girls and none of them let me dress them anymore. So sad.

    Do you think they carry that outfit in MY size?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The pumpkin hat is amazing! And I love that you're giving an Etsian a plug...I'm going to have to check out Tanya's Tangles. Hayden is adorable and you look amazing...like Kathi I have to ask, "what love handles"?

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed