Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Style & Deep Dish Pizza

Today my daughter in law, Ashley, had made plans to come over and go to lunch with me.  Luckily (or unluckily, depending on your viewpoint) it was a slow work day so I was able to finish everything up by about 12:30 - just in time to grab a bite!  I was hoping there would be more to do later in the afternoon.  We headed down to Newport and Fashion Island.  Ashley is the manager of a Sunglass Hut and she'd been staking out some sunglasses for me to try.  Four times a year they have a sale for the employees where they can purchase up to 5 pair of sunglasses for 50% off, so this was my big chance to pick out some nice ones. I finally settled on these:
Burberry, with a kind of quilted design on the side pieces.  A little edgy, and different than what I have now.  I was sorely tempted by a pair of Tiffany & Co ones.  They were black with a little flower design in Swarovski crystals at the temple, and the inside and top edge of the frames were in Tiffany blue.  So elegant - perfect lady sunglasses.  But even at the 50% off they were a little pricey so I opted for the Burberry ones, which were a little more practical.  But I'm still thinking about the Tiffany ones.  It was hard to walk away from them.  To be honest, I just felt so pretty, so ladylike, so classy in them.  I looked for a picture of them on the Sunglass Hut website, but I think the style was too new, so you'll just have to imagine them.  Or go to a Sunglass Hut store.
Ashley and I had lunch outside on a terrace that had an ocean view.  Perfect weather, perfect day.  I know I've said it before, but I just love spending time with this girl.  She's smart and fun and spunky.  In the short time I've known her, she's grown in leaps and bounds (as I hope I have) and I always enjoy her fresh personality.  My son Scott is a lucky man.  After lunch we went over to the Sunglass Hut in Macy's, where I monopolized the manager's time (my new friend Ryan) while he pulled out pair after pair of sunglasses.  He showed me his favorites, and gave me opinions on my favorites.  In the end, in the interest of style, every day wearability, and budget, we all decided on the Burberry frames.  I'm excited.  I don't get them until next week (I have to wait for Ashley to buy them for me), so there's the anticipation.  New sunglasses always make me feel like I have a whole new look.  I mean, I probably don't, but it feels that way.
After our Fashion Island outing, Ash and I came back to the house.  She had about a hundred loads of wash to do that I told her to bring over, rather than wasting money on machines at her apartment complex.  I had a little more work to do, she had clothes to fold, and every so often we'd meet in the middle and gab about something.
Finally, at 6:30, my son Scott came over, and L arrived home at almost the same time.  Scott invited us to come have some Chicago style deep dish pizza with them.  L has had a touchy stomach the past couple of days so he declined.  But I didn't.  I went, and Scott is right - that pizza was about the best I've ever had.  We had good pizza and good conversation, and some good laughs.  And an icy Diet Coke.
It was a near perfect day.  I had a whole afternoon to spend with one of my favorite girls on a day when I didn't have to feel guilty about ignoring a big work load.  I literally ran through an entire store full of sunglasses, and got expert advice from my girl and from my new BFF Ryan.  It was like, for an hour, I was their best and favorite customer.  Loved it.  Ate lunch in the warm sun while being cooled with a sea breeze.  Came home, worked some more (made a little more money) and then went out and ate great pizza in the company of my favorite youngest son and his beautiful wife.  A slow, easy day.  But I am going to have to pedal my bike hard tomorrow to make up for it.

11 comments:

  1. It sounds like a great day, Karen! Nothing beats a yummy pizza (and a diet coke!) with good conversation and company!

    p.s. I love the sunglasses. And I am with you--when I have a new pair I feel like I've had a mini make-over! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eating lunch with an ocean view...so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a wonderful day! I know one day you'll have that exact pair of sunglasses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh- a terrific day! Love your sunglasses- that is just what I would pick, too. I'm sure you will have a good bike ride tomorrow, so don't feel guilty-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds just about perfect to me! Glad you got some cute sunglasses, although the "other" pair sounds really darling, too. It's always good to be budget conscious these days, though, right?

    I had a great day with Karin, too. We went out to a cute little Italian restaurant in downtown Saratoga (near that Thai place I took you), and then we just talked and talked and watched the people go by.

    Beautiful day, too.

    And tomorrow is Saturday!

    -(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love sun glasses too. I have scaled back on the addiction this year (substituted for shoes - lol). But I have a favorite pair of D&G shades.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good mix of work & fun in your day and you can anticipate yoyr new shades. Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great day! You'll be styling in those new sunglasses. Pedaling your bike hard is well worth eating a deep dish pizza!

    You're a good MIL!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a perfect feminine kind of day!! Shopping, laundry (with company makes it almost perfect!) and pizza...what could be better?? Love your new sunglasses. I have one expensive pair but since I lose them and break them too often...TJ Maxx $10 specials are my kind really. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You'll never forget the ones that got away! But your choice looks pretty cool too...and to top it off with Chicago pizza is the best! Of course, I'm a Chicago girl and maybe a bit prejudice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely day you and Ashley had! How kind you get included in the sale price...she's a sweetheart for sure!

    Girls days are so much fun and then to finish it off with an evening with your son...mah vah lush!
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed