Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving - Let The Joy Begin!

OK, I admit it: I've been listening to Christmas music all day today.  It's lifting my mood, and it's also transporting me to that special shiny, tinsel-y, warm, family lovin' place that I so need to be in to be able to break out the boughs of holly and create the Christmas season all over again.  It's sparked a bit of good will inside my black heart, is what it's done.  A desire to make pumpkin cheesecake, wrap gifts, and read the Christmas story in front of a glowing fireplace.
But first, Thanksgiving.  I was not in a Thanksgiving frame of mind.  To be honest, it was just making me tired.  But last night we had a family time that kind of changed it for me.  Charged my mental batteries.  Not that I'm not still physically tired - I went to bed last night so tired and achey I was afraid I might have the flu.  But an Advil/Excedrin cocktail does not cure the flu in 30 minutes so I think I was just on my feet and running more than I'd been used to.  Rheumatoid arthritis sucks.  But I digress.
My oldest son Rex and his wife and family are in town this week from Denver - an unexpected surprise.  And they came over yesterday to have dinner and spend some time.  Scott and Ashley came over after work too.  We decided to break out the panini press and make grilled sandwiches, so 5 year old Lexi and I went to the store for provisions.  We took the Miata.  I don't think Lexi had ever been in such a tiny car before.  When I told her we could drive it with the top down in the summer, her brown eyes got big.  We picked up roast beef, turkey, ham, cheeses of every kind, and a couple of different loaves of artisan bread.  Oh - and a toy for her and a toy for Matthew.   I'm a sucker for cute kids, what can I say?
At the height of the evening it was pandemonium in our little house.  So much conversation, so many grilled sandwiches, numerous cups of milk to be filled, hungry Skylee to be fed, and freshly baked pumpkin bread to be eaten.
After dinner, the big kids sat and visited while L plied the little ones with leftover Halloween candy (I wish I had a picture of L and Matthew sharing a box of Nerds and conversation... priceless.)  Lexi and I broke out the fairy castle and carriage, and got out other toys for Matt.  I was just getting Matthew and Lexi settled down watching The Little Mermaid - one on my little couch with his blankie and the other snuggled in the big bean bag chair - when Rex came in to tell them it was time to go.  Too soon!
The whole evening was hectic, loud, and in a constant state of movement.  It was joyous and lovely.  Without going into detail, it was the first evening in a long, long time that brought back memories of how much fun we all used to have together when the kids were younger.  Even L was in the thick of it.  It was the best Christmas gift I could ever have received.  The only thing missing was Katie and her family - and that's a big thing, but some things can't be helped.  Maybe one of these years...
I'd purchased a new camera lens from Katie while we were in Massachusetts last month.  I broke it out yesterday and gave it a test drive.  I've got a lot to learn about using it, but I had some fun.
So in the spirit of the holiday season, may I wish you all a safe, joyous and blessed holiday season.

May your souls be filled with heaven's light


May your days be blessed with life's bounty


And some sparkly things that glitter and shine


Quiet reflection of beauty and blessings received


And a sure knowledge of, and gratitude for,
the love our Heavenly Father has for us that shines in the darkest night.


And may we all witness the true spirit of love and hope shining in the eyes of a child.



14 comments:

  1. I wish the same for you. So glad you had a happy time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh- and Thanksgiving blessings back to you! What a lovely time-

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a perfect day. I've been thinking of getting a panini press. Do you use it much? I'm scared I'll use it once it will go to the appliance graveyard cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a completely beautiful evening with your family. I loved reading about it - I was so in the Miata with you girls going to get Panini fixings (which sounds soooo good btw ).

    I'm already listening to Christmas music too I can't help myself!

    Have a peaceful and wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great evening! good for you.

    Happy thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does sound like you had a wonderful time with the family. Grandchildren are just the greatest!! And how fun that LaMar really enjoyed Matthew. That Lexi is a doll.

    I'm surprised you didn't put the top down for Lexi. So what's a little cold air anyway? Our daughter, Jayne just bought a Miata. It is a used one, but in very good condition with only 40,000 miles on it. She lives in Salt Lake and got caught in a really bad storm coming home from work. It's not the best car in the world for snow. They are such cute cars though. Our son had one and he loved driving it too.

    Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. It will be a little different for me this year as I won't even have to make parker house rolls OR pumpkin pie. Those are usually my contributions to wherever I am. I hate to make pies in Sue's horrible ovens though. They are so new too. She got them when she did her kitchen over and they have never been right. She doesn't bake very often, or I'm sure she would have make them give her new ones. We still try to do the rolls for Todd's sake, but they don't bake that well either.

    Christmas is definitely in the air,but we don't do Christmas until after Thanksgiving.........even the music. I love it though and the day after Thanksgiving our tree goes up and sometimes it doesn't come down until a week or so into the new year. Yes, it is artificial, but a very beautiful one and we love having it up so long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pyrex might be vintage (20 years) but I am guessing its just 'not new', maybe 10 years - now I'm curious, I'll be looking up the pattern date.

    I hung a wreath on my front door (and am seriously considering putting the outside lights up).

    -Joy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing's better than family. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving and weekend.
    I'm so sorry about your RA. It really does suck! I just came back from the rheumatologist for my husband. Not fun but making strides.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen this was so beautiful...thank you for sending out so many good intentions for us and for sharing the warmth and joy of family togetherness. It was heartwarming and it lifted my spirits. A much needed dose of holiday cheer! xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this post, Karen! And I am going to start listening to Christmas carols tomorrow.

    Today, I am going to do exactly what you just did. Enjoy the family.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Its the most wonderful time of the year..." :) Hope you're having a lovely weekend. I'm just glad we still have our New York style cheese cake left over along with aplenty of hot fudge on which to dollop atop. :)
    xox Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun day you had. I love to make paninis! So fun and yummy...what cute little kiddos you have. It's what makes the holidays so special when all the family can be together. We were missing a few this year too, but hopefully we'll be together for some Christmas get togethers in the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You write so magically that feel transported to your house in that warm, food filled, fun holiday! I take pictures, you write about it all in the most descriptive wonderful way. The pics are great so if they are any indication, your new camera lens is doing well. Hope you feel better.... I'm with you about being in the doldrums lately. I've been there too and yes! The grandchildren definitely lift your spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice Post :)
    and do not miss,,,,

    S
    A
    T
    U
    R
    D
    A
    Y


    S
    H
    O
    W

    O
    F
    F

    It is fun :)
    WELCOME
    Håkan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed