Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Friday, January 13, 2012

Celebrating our 12th!

Tonight we're just kicking back.  L had a crazy day at work being on deadline before a big trade show, and everyone wanting their printed material designed.  Today.  He was a little bit frazzled when he got home.  And me?  Just a typical Friday the 13th.  I'd been registering physicians for a little meeting called the Florida EP Summit.  Thinking, you know, that it was a meeting for EPs... in Florida...  One of the company faculty called me in a huff today wondering who the idiot was who'd registered 2 docs from Kansas and New York.  Um... that would be me.  Because I didn't realize it was a meeting for Florida EP's.  ONLY EP's from Florida.  Not from Kansas or New York.
Well, after I'd stumbled over myself about 15 times, we ended up having a good laugh over it, because he knows I don't know nearly all the ropes yet, and frankly, trying to know all the ropes in this company's education department is like herding cats.  It's a constantly moving target.  And we both knew it, so all was forgiven.  This time.  Then, at the end of the day when I was trying to complete my big weekly report, I lost all access to the key website I need.  And apparently, it was a problem in Minneapolis at the Mother Ship, so I just turned off my laptop and began my weekend.
L made dinner tonight - chicken tacos!  They were so delicious - more so because I didn't snack at all this afternoon.  And this is week two with no sweets.  Am I awesome or what?  Even better: I've dropped 4 pounds!!!  And while I realize that by telling you, the Internet, that I've lost four pounds I've effectively shot myself in the foot and jinxed the whole thing, maybe... just maybe I've actually got a handle on this self control thing.  That would be very cool indeed.  I still fantasize about eating chocolate, but it's getting so it's more fun thinking about doing it than actually doing it.  Well, that's what I tell myself, anyway.
This weekend is L's and my 12th anniversary.  It's been a great run, just jam packed with living.



I'm not sure if he knew what he was getting himself into.  We've seen 3 kids graduate from high school, 3 graduate from college, 4 kids married, and now we have 5 grandkiddies.  We've nursed each other through sickness (but I have still not thrown up when he was home to hear it - HA!) and we've had a ton of fun in times of health.  We have grown and changed in ways we wouldn't have dreamed of, and we're better people because of it.  Through it all we are still each other's best friend.  It's great to snuggle each night and wake up each morning with the person who has your back every minute of the day.  He gives me confidence and calms me down.  He vacuums and dusts.

I do the laundry, and I bring him boldness and teach him that there really are brighter and prettier colors than gray and navy blue AND that they're totally wearable.  He taught me how to maneuver through airports by myself, and that it is NOT okay to eat a hunk of cheese or spoonfuls of peanut butter when dining alone.  I must make balanced meals, even if it's just for me.  Maybe especially if it's just for me.  He likes it when I respect myself like that.  I like it when he lets me rub his feet and legs, and take care of him for a change.  He's always so busy taking care of me, and I am always so busy enjoying it that sometimes he doesn't get his fair share, I think.  But I try.  We are just two old geezers who have a good time hanging out together, usually making fun of anything and everything.  He is very funny - wickedly so - but most people would never know that upon first observation as he likes everyone to think he's very serious and dull.  But he didn't fool me, luckily.  I would have missed out on 12 years of crazy love.

We are going to have a little weekend in honor of our anniversary.  We're returning to the scene of his proposal to me: Las Vegas.  I know - it doesn't scream romance, does it?  But I'm telling you, 12 1/2 years ago on the grounds of the LDS temple in Las Vegas one summer evening, this incredibly sweet man (who had been as jumpy as a cat all day, I might add) got down on one knee and asked me to be his true companion for all eternity.  And it was ROMANTIC.  I'll never forget it.  So if you want to find us this weekend ( and please don't) we'll be at New York New York in a SUITE!  I'm so excited to get away for a couple of days with my sweetheart.
Katie called me yesterday and said it was snowing in Massachusetts.  She and the girls were having a snuggle day with movies.  One of the movies they rented was Shirley Temple in "Heidi."  Does anyone remember that one?  Does anyone remember the Shirley Temple movies every Sunday afternoon?  I used to love those.  And "Heidi" was one of my favorites.  I wanted to eat toasted cheese sandwiches and drink my milk out of a bowl just like Heidi.  I was such a dork, but I didn't know any better.  And I hope that Mia is a dork and wants to drink her milk out of a bowl like Heidi too.  Katie snapped a picture of her in the snowfall.  There's nothing like a child to capture the look of pure joy, is there?

You all have a lovely weekend.  I'll be with my homeboy in Las Vegas.  Living it up in our suite. *wink*  And hopefully I will keep those 4 pounds off.
Yes, I know... those arms are going to need months and MONTHS of yoga...
But look at the LOVE in our eyes!

9 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful time in New York! But then, how could you not with the love of your life at your side? Congrats- what a wonderful couple you two are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet. What an awesome relationship you two share. Enjoy your trip! I'm sure all yhe heated snuggling with help you to lose a couple more pounds even! ;) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! I can tell you have a real winner and you two are a perfect match...and yes, I can see the love in both your eyes in the last pic! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary, Karen. Enjoy Vegas.

    I love the story of you and L, and so glad you have each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was my idea of a practically perfect post. You are getting to be a master of the "little bit of everything" that adds up to one very readable (and informative) whole.

    First of all, I love the picture of you and your honey on the rocky beach. So cute! And I also love seeing him with the grandkids.

    Shirley Temple was a favorite of mine, and I was completely fascinated with Heidi. (And most of the other movies, too.)

    Your love story is wonderful. The picture of Mia is gorgeous. And I hope you have the time of your life in Las Vegas!

    Hugs,
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I hope you're having an amazing time.
    What a sweet tribute to your husband.

    Oh, and I LOVE that Shirley Temple movie. In fact, I love almost all the Shirley Temple movies.

    And that little girl? Scrumptious is what she is. So beautiful in the snow.

    Thank you so much for your kind words over at Just Be Enough. I appreciated them greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats and YES I CAN see the love in your eyes...both of you! Have a very special weekend wow NY in Vegas. Now my youngest son is in Vegas this weekend but I promise not to send him out looking for you!
    Have a great time and I DO so hope you don't read any of these comments until your return...wink wink back to you, lol!
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen, Happy anniversary to you and LaMar! You are such a glowingly beautiful couple. I've enjoyed reading about how supportive he is to you. You inspire me in your commitment to take care of yourself and your loving relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen, you are an inspiration to me! Two weeks without sweets is phenomenal! I've gone one week and thinking it's going to be super hard this next week but if you can do it, so can I! Happy Anniversary! Have fun in Vegas in your New York, New York suite!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed