Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Eyes on the Prize: Weekend in Seattle!

January has turned out to be a busier month than I would have thought.  Maybe because so many things have to be signed, completed, redone, or otherwise changed or dealt with in a new year - but I feel like I haven't stopped this entire month!  Not to mention Republican debate madness that has taken so much of my time.  I don't know why, but I am just compelled to watch the craziness develop.  Perhaps because it changes daily?  I don't know but it has me glued to the radio, internet, and TV.  So unlike me.
Today was busy from start to finish.  A 7am conference call started me off.  I sat through that like a zombie, wrapped in a big blanket to keep warm.  Unlike most weeks, though, I actually had an interest in a part of the agenda today.  Usually I have no idea (or interest really) in what most people are talking about.  I am going off the principle that one day I, too, will have a clue as to what's actually going on beyond my little corner of the Education Department.  Right now, all this talk of budgets and GL accounts makes me want to duck and cover.  So for now I stay silent, keep the mute button on so no one hears me eating breakfast, and pipe up with a cheery "No!" when asked if I have anything additional to contribute.  It's a paycheck, folks.
After the call I worked for a little bit, and then got ready for yoga.  It's a good thing that class is at 10am because if it were any earlier, I would have such an easy time talking myself out of it.  I was quite sore from yesterday's class, and was dreading what Tannis would do to us today.  Her class is the hardest one I have all week (and sadly, she considers it a "soft" class...) and I didn't know how I would be able to do much.  But Advil is a wonder drug, and by 10am I was ready to go.  WOOT!  It was a "wall class" today and we spent most of the hour and a half with our feet up the wall stretching this way and that.  But then she/Tannis did manage to slip in the dreaded "Dolphin pose."  Just hearing the word "dolphin" makes me break into a sweat now.  I'm sure it's easy for some, but I have little or no upper body strength, and it's like doing down dog, but you're holding up your body with your forearms.



Looks easy?  Try it.  You'll be sweating huge drops like I do and shaking like a leaf.  I have to rest my forehead on the ground, but you're really supposed to be up enough that your head "hangs loose."  HAH!  But you know what?  I couldn't even lift my load when I first started, so.... baby steps.
Came home.  Jumped in the shower and hosed off.  Worked and worked.  At 2:00 I had an eye exam for new reading glasses.  I'd picked up L's new glasses last week, and while I was waiting I had a little look around and found me the CUTEST pair of Kate Spade frames.  Kind of roundish and librarian looking.  I love them, so I made my appointment and ordered them today.
Back home, worked some more and finished my day.  In 3 days (Friday) I am getting on a plane and spending the weekend with my best and oldest friend Marion, in Seattle.  I'm insanely excited to go.  I've been watching the weather and it's been almost solid rain.  The day I get there and, at least until Saturday, it will be sunny.  I had to laugh when I saw that.  The last time I was there - a couple of years ago - it was also bright and sunny, and everyone kept saying how weird that was.  I have yet to see the daily downpour there.  It's not too late to change, though!
I don't know exactly what we're going to do, but Friday night we'll stay in Seattle and have dinner there at a place that specializes in seafood/salmon.  Very excited about that.  I hope we'll go to the Pike's Marketplace again - I really enjoyed that.  The rest of the time we will be in Olympia, where Marion lives.  It doesn't matter what we do.  We are the kind of friends who never grow apart.  We just pick it up again.  She has been my ally and best friend since we were 11.  We met in 6th grade, and there's been a lot of living for both of us between our 11 year old selves and the wonderful women we are now.  And we are wonderful.  She told me she has lost her waist in the last year, and I say it's about time.  I don't know when mine went, but it's definitely gone, and not likely to return - not in it's original form, anyway.  But no matter.  We will laugh, we will cook, we will shop, and who knows what else.  We will stay up past her bedtime, and when she can't stay up anymore, I will read my Kindle book ("Killing Lincoln" is the latest) until I'm sleepy.  It's going to be a glorious weekend where we can just be 2 girls together, catching up on the last two years apart.  L was so wise to send me on my own - it's going to be fun, hilarious, and poignant all at once.  A weekend to come home and savor.

Pictures will be forthcoming.  I'll take the camera, and do my best to document.  We are a long way from those girls we used to be (in many cases, THANK GOODNESS!)  Here is Marion in all of her 9th grade sophistication sporting new desert boots and cords and velour top:
And then there's me, around the same era, give or take a year.  Oh, how I wished for that long, straight blonde hair and the sultry beauty.  But no.  It was not to be.  Here I am feeding Marions duck - Phoebe June.  (Yes, that beautiful girl had a duck AND a lamb, Waldo Wigglesworth.  And a dog and 2 crazy cats.)

I was, as my mother so unappealingly put it back then "pretty in my own way."  Definitely not the way I wanted to be.  But we grow and change, and high school looks and confidence don't matter so much anymore.  We have come into our own after life's knocks and bruises and successes and triumphs.  But underneath it all, we are still like these two little girls (Lexi and Mia) when we get a change to get together and whoop it up.  So happy to be there enjoying the heck out of ourselves, and loving every minute.  Old friends are the best.  They know where all the bodies are buried and they love us anyway.

10 comments:

  1. The weekend away will recharge your battery.
    Girlfriend weekends are the best - medicine for the soul!
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she meant to say "pretty in EVERY way" cause you clearly were (and are) gorgeous. Brunettes are hot... : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your weekend sounds perfect. Old friends like that are the best. No matter how long in between visits you just jump back where you left off. Have a great time.
    P.S. That yoga pose looks brutal

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great treat- and a rare thing to have a friend who's been with you since 11 years old! Have fun- and you both were and are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been there in years, but we loved eating at Iver's in Seattle.

    Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are going to have the best time ever!

    =)

    PS. And I love how you ended with "knowing where the bodies are buried." heehee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could go to Seattle with you! Tell Marion hi for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a really good time with your friend! I understand wanting the straight blond hair...the Greek in me had me stuck with jet black wavy hair and I couldn't get it perfectly straight until blow dryers were invented! (the iron trick didn't go so well..and the burnt hair smell was gross!) That yoga pose looks deadly...I am so NOT flexible anymore. I'm enjoying the walking DVD and doing the 5 mile routine. My knees are protesting, but hopefully that will get better soon. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Old friends who you never lose that rythym with are THE BEST hands down!!!
    You are going to have a fab weekend. Can't wait to hear about it!!

    The yoga pose. I am going to try it right now. If I never blog again you'll know I didn't make it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you do get that sunshine promised when you go to Seattle. It is so fun to have a really close friend that you knew from way back when. Wish that I had one.

    That yoga sounds like it would be too much for me. I thought at one time I might try it.

    You were darling when you were young. I think you are every bit as cute as Marian. I was blond and wished my hair were darker. Why can't we be satisfied with what we have?

    Also loved the picture of Lexi and Mia.......what darling girls.

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed