Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Thursday, February 16, 2012

All The Single Ladies

Ladies (and gentlemen, if you're so inclined) - I have such a good recipe to share with you!  I made it for L on Valentine's Day - ok, I made it for me too - and it's so easy and so good I have to be generous with it.  I'm a giver like that.  To give credit where credit is due, I got it out of Sunset Magazine, who got it from the "Joy the Baker Cookbook."
It's called "Single Girl Melty Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake."  Are you hooked yet?  I doubled the recipe to make both L and me one, but the beauty of this is that you can whip one up anytime you're in the mood for a wicked little dessert for just little old you.  A special prize for working hard.  The perfect accompaniment for your favorite TV show.  And if you happen to make an extra one to share?  Well, oohh lala - that lucky friend will call your name blessed forever more.  Here's all you need:

1/2 tsp plus 1T unsalted butter (for the record, I NEVER use unsalted butter.  It doesn't matter here, either)
About 1tsp unsweetened cocoa (or you can use flour or sugar)
1/4 c semisweet chocolate chips (heck - milk chocolate is good too!)
1 large egg
4 tsp sugar
1T natural peanut butter (better that it doesn't have added sugar in it)
Pinch of salt
1 tsp flour

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and set a baking sheet on rack in center of oven.  Grease a 3/4 cup ramekin (an oven proof mug will do if you don't have a ramekin) with 1/2 tsp butter, then dust with unsweetened cocoa.  Set aside.

2. Put 1 T butter and the chocolate chips in a small heatproof bowl set over a small pan of simmering water. Heat, stirring, until chocolate melts; let cool a few minutes.

3. Whisk egg, sugar, and peanut butter in a small bowl to blend.  Whisk in chocolate mixture until well incorporated, then stir in salt and flour just until combined.  Pour batter into ramekin.  Set on baking sheet and bake until as done as you like, 7-10 minutes for a molten center (a 3/4 inch ring around the edge will look dull), or 10-12 minutes for a soft center (cake edge will puff slightly).

4. Let cake cool 2 minutes.  Protecting hands, invert onto a plate.  Eat right away. (I will not have to tell you this twice)

So, so delicious...  Now, if you're allergic to nuts, or just don't like peanut butter, I was thinking that a tablespoon of carmel topping might work just as well.  Or maybe even raspberry jam.  I'm not sure what marshmallow creme would do - it might explode.  The point is that you can - and should - experiment with this and come up with your own variations.  But as is, it's such a naughty little treat - so chocolate-y and satisfying.  Especially on...you know... those days.  And it makes just enough for one, so no need to feel guilty because you've continued on and eaten the whole layer cake, or the entire pie.  (Yes, *shaking head sadly*  I've been there... )  It's a perfect trifecta of easy, quick (think instant gratification) and chocolate.  And if you go for the peanut butter in it, may I suggest you use chunky style - the texture of the nuts is heavenly.  To make it pretty, I dusted the whole inverted loveliness with some confectioner's sugar, but it certainly doesn't need it.

So go - melt, whisk, bake, enjoy.  You are so welcome.

8 comments:

  1. OOohhhhhh It looks like I'm going to stay fluffy! Peanut Butter and chocolate is my fave combo and to be able to whip up a sweet little dish like this...Heaven!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds absolutely lovely. Thanks for being a sharing girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And when I get home from Heidi's I'm making this. And thank you, you giver, you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chocolate & Peanut Butter - and I'd be tempted to top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. We are so baaaad!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my GOOD-ness.

    *sigh*

    (peanut butter and chocolate together is a favorite thing of mine)

    ReplyDelete
  6. TGIF>>>>because it's Sat. tomorrow and I will have time to play with this choc. delight! Jack will think he died and went to heaven eating this! Thanks for corrupting..oops, I mean sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well this is just TERRIBLE! Now I'm going to HAVE to try this recipe. And I HAD commited to cut down on naughty desserts. I'll NEVER be a Victoria's Secret Model if I keep eating like this! :)

    It sounds DELISH!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uh huh...I am now gonna be in so much T R O U B L E!
    But what a way to get there...
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed