Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day



Happy Valentine's Day!  Unfortunately, I am a little bit sick today: coughy and scratchy throat (thank you L!)  I am not as sick as he was, though, so it diluted itself somewhere in the exchange.  Still, my energy is not what it was when I was planning my Valentine's Day extravaganza, so we'll just do what we can do.

Last year I'd purchased some Valentine labels printed on business card size cardstock that say things like  I <3 U, Better Than Chocolate, or (for some international romance) je t'adore.  There was even one that said I Love You in Morse Code.  I always wake up at some point in the middle of the night, and so I took that opportunity to take some of those cards and plaster them all over the place: on L's bathroom mirror, on his bedside lamp, on his man-purse (yes, that's right: his man-purse.  Do not snicker - it's awesome) and even on his car.  Then I left his 1st Valentine's card by his computer.  (Another to follow at dinner tonight) He was very surprised when he woke up, and he left all of them tacked up wherever they were.  It was kind of a fun, high-school-throwback thing to do.  Made me giggle when I got back in bed after being all over the cold house and out in the garage.  (And I wonder why I'm sick...)

Tonight I have a really nice dinner planned.  IF I can muster up the energy.  Right now I'm just struggling with taking a shower.  (ooooh... how romantic...)  I really don't feel that bad physically - I'm just really tired.  NO evergy at all.  I'm going back and forth between this computer and my work one, getting my work done in between having fun here.  It's a slippery slope.  The dinner plans include: 

Stuffed Mushrooms
Pasta ai Quattro Formaggi 
(four cheese pasta...mmmmmm....)
Grilled Steak
Chocolate Peanut Butter individual molten cakes  
(chocolate and peanut butter being one of L's favorite combinations)

None of it is difficult, but the pasta and steak must be perfectly timed to be finished at the same time.  So, I will probably wait until L is home from work to start cooking those - just have it all shredded and ready to go beforehand.  Gah - I'm tired just thinking about it.  Maybe a nap will help.  (Aaand it's only 10:30am.  I'm doomed.)  NO - I WILL get this done.  It's always better once I stop thinking about it and just start doing it.

L finally went to the doctor yesterday and, as usual, he came home with a couple of inhalers.  The last couple of years it seems his colds always turn into a little bit of asthma.  So maybe my little cough is not so bad - I just like attention and sympathy.  A lot.  Too much.

L also gave me a Valentine card with an iTunes gift card inside.  YAY - there's always more music I want.  With the one he gave me at Christmas I bought Adele's "21" CD/album - whatever you call digital music.  I highly recommend it.  Some of the songs bring back the exquisite heartbreak of a breakup, but it hurts so good.
I also got Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" CD.  Now I can see some of you rolling your eyes and smirking, but I have to tell you that there is not a better bunch of music to get you in a good mood and moving.  Plus, I can't get enough of that song "Edge of Glory."  I watched her Thanksgiving special "A Very Gaga Thanksgiving"  (STOP with the eye rolling...) and she explained her inspiration for that song.  Her grandparents had been married for 50+ years, and her grandmother lay in the hospital dying.    Listen to the lyrics again.  They take on a whole new meaning, and it gives me chills every time I listen to it.  Plus, it makes me draw the shades and bust out my best dance moves.  Yeeaah... try to put that image out of your mind.  Sorry.  But I love that song.

So what to do with this iTunes card?  Chris Isaak has a new CD out of him doing remakes of some oldies: Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, etc.  It's tempting.  I've gotten nostalgic about a few John Denver songs.  And then there's my little list I keep in "Notes" on my iPhone.  That includes The Shins (several selections), Iggy Pop (The Passenger), Eddy Vedder (Society & Rise), Wailin'Jennys (Things That You Know), Shivaree (Goodnight Moon), Band of Horses (On My Way Back Home), The Levelers (Four Winds), Nik Kershaw (Wounded), Timbuk 3 (The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades), Agnes Obel (Down By The Riverside), Guster (The Captain), and Loudon Wainright III (The Swimming Song).  An eclectic mix for sure.  I always have a hard time deciding and end up spending way too much time listening to this and that.  I know this is a red-hot topic with you all, so I'll keep you apprised.

In the meantime, have a lovely, wonderful Valentine's Day.  Be good to those you love, and most of all, be good to yourselves.  Crank up some music (I suggest Lady Gaga *wink*) and hold your own little dance contest.  Good for the soul, good for the waistline (I'm still trying to find mine).  Then later, romance your true love, send love to a friend or family member, or just romance yourself with a wonderful evening filled with the things you love and enjoy.  Recharge your batteries by showing some love to yourself, to a special someone, to many special someones.  I would love to hear about the wonderful things you all did.

9 comments:

  1. Why pull the shades when you bust a move?

    Your dinner sounds delicious! Hope you have the energy to get it prepared AND maybe get some dancing in!

    Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely evening...I love how you generate happiness in every day!
    Sweetness herself in a huge heart and bow! Love personified!

    Feel better and hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharing a cold is such a fun thing to do with your valentine. NOT!

    Sounds like you're going to have a great evening, though, and I like your musical choices...

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your day sounds lovely. I hope you are feeling better and can enjoy it.
    I like listening Lady Gaga's music but can't stand looking at her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you felt good enough to make that dinner and enjoy the time with L! It sounds really delish and romantic. I like your music pics too...especially a few of John Denver!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We went out to dinner and Zach gave me a massage :) We listened to Marvin Gaye :) Definitely had a really nice Valentine's Day. We went to a Bollywood restaurant. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear your not feeling so great. That stinks to have that happen over one of the best holidays! Your dinner sounds so delicious. Richard made lobster tails for me and wow, do those make a girl feel loved!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ashley and I had a good time too. We went to the Elephant Bar (and were a bit overdressed, i remembered it being a nicer place). I have to say i am impressed with your music "wants" list. Love Band of Horses. I think i can email anything you want from them. Iggy Pop? Very surpising. Is Wailin' Jennys a play on Waylon Jennings or did you just spell it wrong? I dig Eddie Vedder's solo stuff as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like your dinner was fab! The menu definately look very tasty!

    OK Gaga? Really? That's all I'm going to say - Ha ha!! Glad you found something to get your groove on with :-D

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed