Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Memorial Day: the (Un)Official Start of Summer

Saturday - the first day in a long weekend.  More specifically, Memorial Day weekend, the harbinger of summer.  It's been cool here, though - doesn't feel much like summer, although it's supposed to warm up by Monday.  I'm not in school anymore, I have no kids in school anymore, so there are no real markers for me like "school's out" for the official start of summer.  So Memorial weekend is it, I guess.  Break out the white shoes. (Remember that old rule of no white shoes except between Memorial Day and Labor Day?)
Today was kind of cool-ish, with a light breeze blowing.  It was hair salon and pedicure day - the big duo.  So much pampering!  The best part is always having someone else wash your hair.  Heaven... But the foot massage runs a close second, I have to say.
I've been feeling a little restless lately.  I can't really put my finger on it, other than to say I need some kind of creative outlet.  I know I've mentioned it before, but I haven't yet found the project, although I'm getting close.  I saw these in the Pottery Barn catalog, and they got me inspired, in a fabric painting kind of way.


The main problem is that I don't sew... but next week I'm going to buy a yard of fabric, and see what I can do.  It's been awhile since I've done any painting at all, let alone on fabric, but I have a couple of ideas that I'd like to try out.  It's hard to explain, but I sit at a computer all day long doing work that is repetitive and boring (But I'm not complaining!  Happy to have the work!  *nervous laugh*)  Work is work, but after all is said and done, I need to set the worker bee free, and have some fun making something beautiful.  Something not entirely practical.  Something that comes from me, rather than a spreadsheet.  Stay tuned on that.  More to follow.
We went to the movie "Salmon Fishing In The Yemen" tonight.  If you haven't seen it (or even heard of it) I urge you to seek it out and go.  It's not an "Avengers" action movie, or even "Men In Black" but it will make you smile.  I promise.
After the movie we ate at Bruxie's, a local waffle sandwich place.  If you've never had such a treat, I'm sorry for that.  L got the chicken and waffle sandwich: fried boneless chicken breast, a little maple syrup, and cole slaw all folded inside a waffle.  I had that last time, so tonight I went for the pastrami, cole slaw and guyere cheese (and a pickle!) all folded into the waffle.  Mine was good, but the chicken and waffle is still the winner.
Still in the planning stages for our visit from Katie, Zach, and the girls.  While I was getting my hair washed, scalp massaged... ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz... ! ? Oh yes, when I was busy being relaxed at the salon today, I was thinking about and planning different things we could do together.  I'm getting excited!  Two little girls (and one big girl) to have girly fun with.
And then a couple of weeks after that, we will fly to Denver and see the other little ones.  I just got some fresh pictures of Ronna and baby Skylee:




She's already changed so much from the last time I saw her!  Yes, I know - babies will do that, but it makes it so hard to be far away from them.  I can't wait for Lexi's chatter, and to hear Matthew's little voice again.  June is going to be a great kickoff of summer!
So next week I'll just drone away in my little upstairs office waiting for the fun to start.  My desk faces the window that overlooks the street.  I watch my neighbors come and go, taking kids to school and going to work.  The man across the street is a local pastor and he comes and goes all day long.  At around 10am when the street is quiet, a little rabbit comes out of hiding and hops around eating grass and foliage for a few minutes.  Big black crows swoop down and grab bits of this and that from the street or from front lawns.  Cats saunter through yards (but the bunny is long gone by then).  Gradually kids come home from school, neighbors return from work.  My next door neighbor (who has recently retired, I think) is sometimes out flying his new remote control helicopter.  He crashes it into my house sometimes, and I'll hear the thud.  Luckily, no broken windows. Yet.
I start work at 7am when the sun is low, and finish between 3 and 4pm when the street is alive with kids and bicycles and scooters.  I pick up the mail and start dinner.  I watch Ellen sometimes and then The O'Reilly Factor while making dinner.  It's all so routine.  And dull.  It will be good to have the little girls here soon to shake L and I out of our doldrums, and freshen up the joint.  That's the best thing about being a grandparent - the grandchildren keep you from being complacent.  They free up your imagination, and make you believe in magic again.  They keep you young - at least for a few days - and then when they leave you collapse and take a big nap.  But you'll risk that exhaustion because the shot of juice they provide during a visit is completely addictive.  You can never get enough of soft cheeks, sweet chatter, and little hands in yours.

6 comments:

  1. Hi karen! I could really go for some "coolish" along about now. Central Florida's been in the 90s for several days in a row, making those cool, refreshing upper 80s seem like a distant memory. (You get the picture.) I'd love to have those nautical themed pillows in my family room! So you're feeling Young and Restless, are you? I urge you to shake up your routine and trying doing something completely "out of character" like watching Keith Olbermann... if you can find him! Sorry, I just had to. (LOL) You have exciting family visits on the horizon and I am very happy for you, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those beachy pillows. I can see how they would inspire you.
    And what is it about someone else washing our hair that is so amazing? Every time I go to the salon I say "don't rush the shampoo"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen I loved this post, it was so full imagery of the daily moments. It is dull to work alone, and so I need to have music and take long walks or runs at midday to break it up. Your little Skylee is a perfect darling! Such a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you paint the fabric maybe I can sew them into pillow cases for you :) We're so excited to come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have a great weekend and day off tomorrow. I know I'm looking forward to it! I wish I could work from home. I don't think it would be possible because blood would get all over everything...maybe someday surgery will be all done from a computer room. Hmmm..it could happen! Your Grandkiddos are so sweet. I know how you feel about the visits and I'm having one at the end of June. So I'll be looking forward to that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your day sounds delightful. Except for the work part, but watching out the window and seeing the routine of the neighborhood is soothing.

    And another O'Reilley fan? Yesssssssssss

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed