Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Friday, June 29, 2012

The Devil & Miss Mia

This week has seemed to just drag, hasn't it?  Today when I shut off my work laptop, I felt like a kid being let out of school, and I'm not really sure why.  I'm just glad to have a weekend, work a day or two, have a holiday, and then work a day or two.  And truthfully, there won't be much work next week, so I may as well make up my mind to enjoy myself.
Tonight when L gets home we're going to go buy an American flag.  I've wanted one to fly on holidays for the longest time.  This year it just seems especially important, so off we go for an exciting evening jaunt to the Home Depot for our flag.  I just love it when lots of people have their flags out on July 4th, and other patriotic holidays.  It's a beautiful sight, and makes my heart proud and thankful.
We're having the folks over for their belated Father's Day BBQ on Sunday.  I need to figure out what we're having and go shopping.  And speaking of shopping, if you have a Trader Joe's by you, pick up a jar of Cookie Butter.  You heard me.  Cookie Butter.  It's like gingerbread you can eat with a spoon.  I guess you can put it on pancakes or toast.  I've even put a little of it in smoothies.  But mostly I just eat it with a spoon when I need something sweet.  Try it.  You will not be sorry.  And you'll thank me.


Maybe we should just open a jar on Sunday and pass out spoons.  Just kidding.  Even I'm not that bad. Not, at least, when there are other people around.

I've been hearing from Katie that little Hayden has been walking around the house muttering "Dammit!" under her breath.  But when Katie asks "What did you say?" she just gives Katie a raspberry and walks away.  It's hilarious.  She doesn't say no, or throw tantrums.  She just gives the 
old raspberry.  For any reason, whenever she's avoiding something unpleasant.  She makes me laugh, but I notice Katie needs a lot of naps.  Ahhh... two year olds...  If I ever get a video I'll have to post it.  It'll make you laugh.

And finally, it was this little sweetheart's 6th birthday today.  She celebrated by going to see the movie "Brave" with Katie and Hayden.  Tomorrow is her party at the park.  She is beyond excited.  Katie made cupcakes and told the girls not to touch them.  Mia crept up to Katie and confessed that she hadn't touched them, but she had smelled them.  And she was hoping she wasn't in trouble for that.  Miss Hayden, later on, was not so subtle.  Katie caught her with the high stool, picking the sprinkles off of one of them.  Her response upon being caught red handed?  Yep, a raspberry.  Life is gonna come a knockin' for that one.


13 comments:

  1. I love seeing updated pictures of those precious girls, karen. Isn't it fascinating how each one develops her own distinct personality? It will be interesting to see how their relationship plays out in the years to come. Remember, dear friend, for every spoonful of cookie butter you consume you need to ride one extra mile on your bike! I hope you found your flag by now and that you and yours enjoy a safe and happy 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. I wish I could be satisfied with just "smelling" the cupcakes! Such a cute story...Cookie Butter! We don't live near a Trader Joe's, but I sure wish we did. That sounds soooo good. Yum! Yum!

    Enjoy your weekend, GF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now Hayden is always going to be one who keeps life interesting! How fun they must be. We don't have a Trader Joe's anywhere near us, but next week, when I'm in Orlando, I'm going to look for one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll definitely will have Dick pick up some of that cookie butter when he goes to Trader Joe's next. It does sound really good. Thanks for the tip.

    Honestly these little one keep our lives interesting, don't they. It is so fun to hear what they are going to say next. I wish I had kept notes on what my kids and grandkids used to say because they were so entertaining too, and I can't remember all the fun things they used to say and do. Darn!!

    Yours are so darling and they are so cute. I love seeing all the pictures of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable little sweeties, but Hayden just sounds like a hoot! She is going to be a handful. LOL Cookie butter? It sounds divine. Luckily for me there are no Trader Joe's around here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its always exciting in our house ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those two are so entertaining!

    And I like the sound of cookie butter....

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the stories about your family my first grandson is 6 weeks old, called Hayden cannot wait until he is a little person with his own personality.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, I've stopped by to find your sweet stories of family, cookie butter and a beautiful cupcake headpiece! So much sweetness here, I need to go to the blogland dentist!

    Raspberry blowing, swearing tots are my favorite kind of people. I was never one to correct my kids or the children I've cared for when these things happened. It's just too funny and I would be a total hypocrite if I took the moral lead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, I'd comment but I'm on my way to Trader Joes. Dammit, ppbbbttt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what beautiful girls!! inside and out!!
    I just love seeing our flag honored and displayed proudly too..happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How could you even scold those cuties? I bet Mom knows! But us Grandmas have the best job..just love 'em, hug 'em, never spank 'em, and bask in their never ending cuteness! Hmmm...cookies...butter...heaven! I'll have to take a long drive to find a TJ's around here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that they have announced a Trader Joe's coming to SLC, I will now add to my list the cookie butter. Hopefully by then it will be on my approved eating list. If not, I will be cheating. Yes, I cheat.

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed