Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Monday, October 29, 2012

Giving The Finger

On Sunday afternoon (while my pot of chili was percolating) I decided it was time to make my spooky Halloween finger cookies.  I'd been given the recipe by my blogging friend Laraine, who promised me that they were easy to make.  And son of a biscuit - they were!
I don't know when I've had a large batch of cookies go together so easily.  The recipe called for red gel icing to hold the sliced almond fingernails on, but all I had on hand was green.  And I thought it gave the fingers a rather moldy, creepy look, so I'm satisfied.  And did I mention these were a snap to make?  They're definitely going to be a tradition at my house every year!  They're creepy, slightly disgusting looking, and delicious all at the same time.  I'm hooked.



I'm going to take some to a friend at church, and deliver another ghastly bunch to L's dad: his birthday is on Halloween, and these will be just the thing for him - a delicious snack of witchy fingers!  For the picture I put them in my Halloween sleigh.  You may wonder what a Halloween sleigh is.... One year I found a bunch of wooden sleighs on sale for a really good price.  I started painting, and painting, and painting.  And I got a little tired of painting Christmas designs, so this last year I did a Halloween one.  A Nightmare Before Christmas sleigh, if you will.  I even fashioned little pumpkins out of clay.  I wasn't sure what I would do with it, but it makes a perfect treat holder for candy or... fingers.  I think I have 1 or 2 more sleighs left, and I'll probably go back to Christmas scenes, but I really needed a break from snow, Santa, and angels, and this was fun to paint.

Saw this little Halloween preview from the Colorado branch of the family:

 
Princesses and butterflies and Woody (from Toy Story!) are always favorites.  I think Ronna is a pretty witch (judging from the tights) and Rex is a tired missionary (judging from the name tag).  Wish I could trick or treat with them this year!

And here's the gang in Massachusetts:


Katie and Mia are cats, Hayden is a tiger, and Zach is your friendly neighborhood psychiatrist (he'd just come from the hospital).  Hayden looks like she's ready to have a good sleep after running around after candy at the party.  I hope they actually get to trick or treat this year (you may remember that Halloween was cancelled last year while we were visiting after a huge ice storm) - but it looks like it might still be raining cats and dogs.

I've been watching Hurricane Sandy all day on TV.  I've texted Autumn and Tim in NYC and they're safe and buttoned up in their apartment.  It's their anniversary (or it was yesterday) and like their wedding day a year ago, they're having another go with wild weather.
Katie and her bunch are just beginning to feel the storm's effects.  School was cancelled, and when she tried to take the little girls to a movie today, everything had been shut down.  No one was taking any chances I guess.  Except Katie!

If you're on the east coast, stay warm and dry and SAFE.  Hopefully this will all blow through faster than expected and damage will be minimal (although we're seeing a fair amount of it already, sadly.)  

Happy Halloween to everyone.  I'm off to give people the fingers.   Mmwahahahahhaa....


11 comments:

  1. Those creepy fingers SLEIGH me, karen. You deserve a HAND! Have you been biting your NAILS? How would you like a KNUCKLE sandwich?

    On a serious note I am very sorry to know that some of your family members are hunkered down at this hour and facing the wrath of Frankenstorm. Floridians like me know only too well how much misery storms like these bring can bring and how long they can hang around. I'll be hoping for the best and keeping them all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful cookies! I love the sleigh too...I didn't know how artistic you are. It's super fun! We had Trick or Treat last week and the day was so perfect..75 and sunny..this week it's rain and wind thanks to Hurricane Sandy. Even here in Ohio we're going to feel it...maybe even get some snow..I'm not ready for that! Have a great Halloween week! Booooo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been praying safety for everyone, too. Your fingers are cute/disgusting...well, you know what I mean. They are very well done! Love the costumes, too~

    ReplyDelete
  4. These fingers turned out AMAZING!!!! Wish you'd give me the finger ;-) Miss you! School is canceled again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute Trick-or-Treaters and "Congratulations", your finger cookies look GROSS, and I love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your fingers are even cooler with the green around the nails!

    Glad everyone's doing okay back east.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those fingers are gross, great, and so perfect! Made me laugh! I bet they were fun to make.... and even better to nibble on with some witches brew... or maybe tea or coffee. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am always impressed with the people who can make those finger cookies/snacks. I can't bring myself to even eat or bite one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your fingers turned out great. The green is even grosser/cuter than the red. I'm so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS. My offering today is a Halloween story poem if you'd like to take a look before the 31st passes us by:

    Halloween Horror: A Ghostly Tale

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your photos! your family is beautiful.
    those fingers...wow!!! how cool is that?!
    happy November!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed