Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Horses, Hot Dogs, and Third Birthdays

It was good that I waited to write this post until the end of the day.  My post election bitterness is not as sharp and painful as it was this morning.  I poured a lot of myself into this election.  I was personally vested in the outcome in a way I'd never been before.  A variety of reasons, I suppose, that are best left for discussion another day.  We missed out on a great man, America.  That's all I'm going to say.  And it made me grouchy today.

My 6 year old granddaughter Mia summed up her personal support of Mitt Romney when she learned in school (while learning little tidbits about each candidate) that "Mitt Romney likes to ride horses.  And I'm pretty sure he likes hot dogs."  I concur.  A love of horses and hot dogs is one of the simplest to spot signs of a great American.  I'm just bone weary this evening after tossing and turning all last night, and I need some relief in the form of  sweet dreams and down pillows.  I need to feel hopeful, and have faith that there are good days ahead.  It's up to me, but I will make it so.

Today, as luck would have it, I had to look no further than this little miss, because guess who had a birthday today?




Hayden Reese, that's who.  And it was an exciting day, complete with breakfast out, and a trip to the Disney Store for a new Princess doll.


Hayden is three years old.  She woke up with a smile on her face, and excitement that today - finally TODAY - she would be three years old.  Not two.  Not a baby.  Three.

As it turns out, the big day dawned very cold.  But her camera-happy mom dressed her in her birthday finery and made her stand in the freezing temps for a few quick snaps of the shutter to document the day she turned into a big girl.  A very frosty happy birthday morning, but a birthday princess is gracious to her demanding public.  Later in the day, the snow actually did start to fall, and at last count there was about an inch sticking to the ground.  Fun stuff for a little girl who started life out in hot, humid Puerto Rico.

Her party is this Saturday, but it was fun to be able to see pictures of her enjoying her special day.  She even received a special dress from Sofia at Chimi and Changa (see her creative genius on Facebook), and a Chimi doll dressed in a matching dress!

Proving once again that life goes on.  Rituals and rites of passage continue.  Love and families grow.  This old world can disappoint us again and again, but our families are forever.  One hard lesson I've learned is that we must make our little corner of the world a safe place for our loved ones.  The world can go crazy, but if our homes are a safe place, there is respite.  We teach them to be kind and love others, to work hard to achieve their goals, to stand up for what's right, to appreciate simple blessings like horses and hot dogs.  To love God with the simple faith that comes naturally for children.  Because only then will we find the peace we seek.

8 comments:

  1. A good nights sleep helps with almost everything huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the universe sends us reminders to smarten us up exactly when we need then. Your tank was empty, but then you had this beautiful little girl to remind you of blessings around you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, karen! I am genuinely sorry that you experienced pain and bitterness over the outcome of the election. I know very well how passionate you were about Mittens. Naturally, I felt equally passionate about President Obama and was proud to do my part in getting him reelected. Friends that we are, I know you are just as happy for me this day as I am sad for you. If the election had gone the other way I have no doubt that you would have been over on my site offering your condolences. It's who you are. It's who I am. We are both patriots. We both love our country.

    God bless America!

    Happy 3rd birthday to beautiful Hayden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post, beautiful photos.
    It's a much better feeling to be on the winning side of the election, but I'm still very thankful to live in a country where we have a choice and get a "Do-Over" every four years...Happy Birthday to beautiful Hayden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When will these post-election doldrums depart? I'm still reeling.

    Can Hayden really be three? Oh yeah, Evie's three too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Shady's post. In fact, it's exactly what my post today is about!

    Happy birthday to Hayden.

    =)

    PS. I am feeling sad about Romney, too. I wanted our country to benefit from his know-how.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to Hayden! What a doll! I too was very upset after Tuesday...sigh..I just don't get it. I won't even say more because I can feel the blood pressure rising! So lets all have a wonderful weekend. The temps are going up to the 60's tomorrow! We are even going to see more sunshine! That's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful Hayden is. She is just so adorable and I hope she had a very Happy Birthday!

    I too am having a rough time with the election results. I prayed so hard and it was awful that God said no. I guess we will just have to try again in four years. I loved Sue's post today though. There are people in my own family that were very happy that Obama won and even though I can't understand why they voted the way they did, I still absolutely love them.

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed