Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Sweetness of the Season

The big day is almost here.  The last three days have been a whirlwind of baking and wrapping and preparation.  There have been 3 types of cookies baked, 2 batches of banana bread (with macadamia nuts!) orange blueberry scones, and pumpkin cinnamon rolls made.  A batch of home made granola.  It's more baking than I do in a year.  And still, tomorrow, I have a large pan of scalloped potatoes and molasses biscuits to make and bake for Christmas Eve dinner with my family, plus Creme Brulee French Toast to prepare for Christmas morning.  Both yesterday and today I took a nap.  Had to.  I'm just not used to being on my feet that much, and for that long.  Much aspirin and Advil was consumed to ease my poor achey joints.  But I've enjoyed it all.  Every last cookie and baked good.  Every baking session working side by side with L - he rolled the cookie dough into balls, and I did the rest, either filling them with jam or topping the chocolate ones with crushed peppermint candy.  He was great moral support and enthusiastic helper.  And today he let me doze off while cuddled up watching "Miracle on 34th Street."  Sweet respite!
You would think that I would have eaten a ton of sweets with all of the baking, but strangely, being surrounded by that much sugar and butter totally dampened my desire for it.  I still haven't eaten one single cookie...
We all have our most cherished memories of each holiday, favorite vignettes, and number one quotes of the day.  These make up the stories of our lives and give us family traditions and tales that are retold year after year.
So far, my favorite quotes have been these:

Santa to Hayden: "What can Santa bring you this year?"
Hayden: "A present."

Santa to Mia: "And what would you like Santa to bring you?"
Mia: "You can surprise me."

Such simple and sweet expectations, and accompanied by one of the most charming Santa Claus images I've ever seen:


But the all-time award-winning quote of the Christmas season has to belong to my niece Emily's little girl:

"And they brought the baby gold, Frankenstein, and myrrh."  - Josie, age 4

I'm still laughing at that one.  Of course, this is the little girl who wants to marry Godzilla, so clearly, clearly there is a random streak somewhere in her brain.

Lastly, I saw this on a friend's Facebook page, and it kept me laughing, while reminding me to keep things simple.



May you all have a very Merry Christmas season with your families, friends, and loved ones.  Savor the memories, the glad tidings, whispered Christmas wishes, and the love.  Always the love.  And remember that it all started with the greatest gift of all - the birth of our Savior in a humble manger under Bethlehem's star.  Remember that most of all.

9 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful Christmas, and I know all are going to enjoy the fruits of your labors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were smiles and laughs aplenty as I read this one, dear karen. Society will surely frown upon Josie's marriage to Godzilla but who knows, it just might work out! (LOL) I love her Frankenstein quote, too. She and I would get along well because I have loved monsters ever since I was her age. Starting when I was three my older brother dragged me with him to the drive-in every weekend to watch a creature feature.

    There's a brisk west wind blowing across Central Florida tonight and I swear to you that I can smell your baked goods and all the other yummy delights you spent hours preparing. Rest your feet now and have a fabulous Christmas, karen. Please know that I am thrilled to call you friend as we head into a new year. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas Karen.I really wish I had some macadamia banana bread right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took me a second to get the Amish Christmas Lights :)

    Merry Christmas. All the best to your and your family.
    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are my hero of the baking world! I do love to bake but for some reason this year I'm just not into it. I did a bunch when we went to Chicago and now I'm burned out I think! Anyway, have a delish Christmas day and relax and enjoy. I am used to being on my feet..atleast 6 to 8hrs a day, but standing by the stove wore me out and I even took a quick nap today! Merry Christmas Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sweet words they brought on smiles and giggles-- about your feet I was there too but I'll add the BACK.. o my back is killing me - wink!
    But I was not such a good girl about not eating a cookie - I not only had one I have "MANY" and I can't look open another dessert without feel kinda sick at the sight -- but I will recover I am sure. And as for the add POUNDS now to get rid of..I am walking and walking and walking daily to do so...wink!
    Hugs - and a Most wonderful New Year Ever...

    ReplyDelete
  7. A belated Merry Christmas to you! I love the idea of baking and the warmth ti brings to a home, but I just can't bring myself to do it. SOunds like your kitchen was in constant motion!

    And I LOVE that Amish lights meme. SO funny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry belated Christmas Karen! I so loved Hayden and Mia's photograph with Santa and their quotes. Beauty is deep within their sweet souls.
    Your home bakery sounds divine! My gingerbread cookies were good for dog treats, and the sugar cookies went stale. I'm so glad you have a great kitchen supporter in your house too. It's much nicer that way. Thank you so much for visiting me with the news that the gifts were a success! Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You baked all those cookies, but ate none?
    I.Can.Not.Even.Imagine.
    My jeans are feeling really tight at the moment - I bet you're aren't!

    Beautiful photo of the kids with Santa!!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed