Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Friday, January 4, 2013

Weekend!

What is it about a weekend stretching in front of you?  Full of promise, the possibilities beckon enticingly.  Even though we worked a short week because of New Year's, it's been a busy, packed three days of work.  So much to catch up on.  So. Much.  Today, at the end of the day, my eyes actually hurt because of all the computer work.  (And yet, here I am, back at it, working in the bright glare of the screen...)

About 3 months ago I bought a coat on one of those super discount sites.  I think it was $45.  And then after Christmas I bought a dress on sale at one of my favorite websites.  Today was the magical day when the planets aligned and both items arrived on my porch.  I was starting to worry about the coat - I ordered and paid for it in about early October, but I think it was ordered from China.  Hence the long wait.  And for the money, it's a decent little coat.  A beautiful mustard yellow, detachable black/white polka dot bow, and little belt.  It's a wool/poly blend - perfect for Southern California.  I was afraid it was going to be huge - sleeves hanging over my hands, etc.  I ordered an extra big size thinking that I could have it altered down if need be.  Well, I needn't have worried about it.  Seems the Chinese like to skimp on their sizing and fabric, so the size was actually about right.  The sleeves could be a little longer, but I'll live.  And the color is gorgeous.



Tomorrow is my not-a-day--too-soon salon appointment for cut and color.  A guaranteed good day.  I've been growing my bangs out, and now I think I want to cut them again.  I realize it will all come down to what kind of a mood I'm in tomorrow.   I've had my hair about an inch long after getting a sudden yen to cut it.  I'm impulsive like that.  That's the fantastic adventure of the hair salon - sometimes you come home with a complete surprise, although I've practiced more self control in recent years.  Not so many sudden moves, which tend to startle the husband.  Bangs or no bangs is not a hot button issue, so my home life should remain stable no matter what.

And then, after the hair issues are dealt with, what next?  A movie?  Dinner out?  A trip to Target?  Our lives are an ever-evolving ball of fire, I tell you.  We did see "Les Mis", and it's a must see.  If you haven't seen it, what are you waiting for?  The music, the acting, the boohooing at every inspirational song.  It was awesome.  But take Kleenex, because I promise you that you'll need it.  We also saw that movie "Hitchcock" and it was better than expected.  Especially if you're of my vintage and can remember the old Alfred Hitchcock Presents TV series, and, of course, "Psycho."

Throw in church and some bike riding, and call it a weekend.  Oh, but wait - L is working from home on Monday, so that will be a half holiday too.  Yes, I do need to work, but somehow we'll find time to sneak off for a nice ride on the bikes - especially if its a nice day.

Our 13th anniversary is next weekend, and we're going to have a mini getaway.  A nice dinner, a night in a hotel, and a nice Sunday brunch.  I'm looking forward to sneaking off with my favorite beau for a night of revelry.  Dinner, some smooching *wink*, and probably snoring by 10.  We are party animals.  But we're party animals in love.  And that's a great way to spend your days (and nights).

A glossy brochure from the Westin in Kauai came today.  L and I drooled over it a little bit.  Maybe later in the year.  I'm thinking it would make a lovely Christmas, personally...  First there are children and grandbabies to visit.  Katie and the girls are first on the list.  Katie and I are plotting and planning dates as we speak.  Winter dates or summer?  Katie is pulling for February, but I think I'm leaning more towards warmer days.  All I know for sure is that one night we are having a girls' slumber party in my hotel room.  It's long overdue.

So that's what's been on my mind today.  A lot of scheming how to get myself spruced up and shiny for our anniversary.  How to propel myself across the country to Massachusetts.  How best to spend the current weekend.  I think I'll start with wandering down the hall and cuddling with that cute boy I live with while he watches the Laker game.  If that's not romance, I don't know what is.

15 comments:

  1. Hi, karen! Your last sentence made me think of you as a modern day Sally McMillan (Susan Saint James) who always lounged around the house wearing a football jersey. Do we have a match here? Were/are you a fan of McMillan and Wife? One of these days you and I are going to find SOMETHING upon which we wholeheartedly agree! (LOL) How about our continuing unsinkable friendship? I think we can agree on that. I've heard about both movies you mentioned and Hitchcock is must see for me. If you and L are looking for something very special to do for your anniversary I highly recommend that you watch my all time favorite movie Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park, winner of FIVE academy awards including Best Picture. (LOL) Enjoy your weekend, dear friend karen, and please post pictures of your new "do."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That coat is adorable! You got a good deal on it, too.

    Your plans sound terrific- happy anniversary a little early! We are going to see Les Mis tonight- can't wait~

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I love that coat! The collar and the bow are adorable and I bet it looks wonderful with your coloring. I would love to come home from the salon with longer hair..but it never works that way! I'm way to impatient for the growing out period so I guess I'm stuck with a short do for the duration! Happy anniversary a week early. Your plans sound fun so enjoy yourselves..wink.wink!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "We are party animals in Love"! That is a great line!!
    You two are the cutest couple and obviously SO in love!!!
    Sounds like a great weekend! And LOVE the coat - it is really cute and rather chic with the collar and the bow. Can't believe it took so long to arrive. Wow someone wasn't kidding when they talked about a "slow boat to China". Ha ha
    I am with you on planning the trips. Kauai sounds fantastic sigh...
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was cuddling with Dave watching the Laker game until they almost came back to win...and then, all bets were off!

    ;)

    PS. We went to see The Impossible, which was an incredible true story that was so intense I could scarcely watch it. Couldn't turn away, either. Emotionally wrenching, but all in all, well worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You Rascal you!!
    Love the new coat - GREAT color!!
    Anniversary plans sound perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make me smile! I love the color of the coat. It will be fun to wear, good choice you made to get it.

    Have a good weekend. This one and the next one!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Likey the coat!! And congrats on the upcoming anniversary! Love any reason to celebrate :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Long wait indeed for the coat - LOVVVVVVe the color too! like to see you in it -- and how about that...
    Hope your weekend goes peachy fun..
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. My coats I ordered haven't arrived yet :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jilda would probably mug you for that coat :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That coat will look so good on you with your coloring. I, on the other hand, would look bad in it, but I love the style. I would have worried if I hadn't received something I ordered in October.

    It sounds like you have been busy, as usual. I certainly have, and I almost couldn't believe how long it had been since I blogged last. But at least I'm back now and I hope I don't go quite so long next time.

    Have a great anniversary celebration. I thought you had been married a bit longer than that, so I was a bit surprised. You really got a great guy in LaMar. It is so neat to have chosen the right guy in a second marriage. I think we both got winners. We have been married almost 40 1/2 years!

    Wouldn't a vacation in Hawaii be great? We went to Maui for our honeymoom and haven't been back since!

    You are waiting for the long hair and I keep chopping mine off. I have it just about where I want it now. I just need to go get it shaped right in back.

    I wish you and LaMar a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. the coat looks great!!! hope you get to wear it on your get away...happy anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karen, you are my friend who has the best sense of style and taste. I'm going to consult you when I need serious fashion advice, which may suddenly become an important part of my life in the near future. I just received a dress form from my mom and was thinking of making a series of summer dresses. Hopefully I can find nice fresh fabric and current patterns.
    I'm inspired by you, Karen! And while you make it sound like every day married love is routinely predictable, I find it to be so comforting! I'd rather be at this stage of love than at the insecure dramatic twenty-something phase with all those highs and devastating lows.

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed