Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Friday, February 22, 2013

My Week In The Salt Mines

Oh, my friends, it's been a week.  Most nights, I just crawled into bed with a whimper and started snoring (according to L).  It started out fabulously enough.  L had President's Day off from work.  Unfortunately, I DID have to work, but since my schedule is fairly loosey-goosey, we were able to schedule in some fun.  On Sunday we'd taken the bikes out for a nice ride, and were happy we were able to do it again on Monday.  Rain was a 'comin' so we wanted to take every advantage to get a ride in.  The air was cool starting out both days, but it turns out that it's perfect for riding - no nasty over heating, and not that many bugs were out down on the riverbed trail.  On Monday the wind had kicked up some, so it was a little bit harder ride coming back.  No matter.  I am working on getting thighs of steel (so far, they are still a little buttery) so wind resistance?  Bring it on!  It was a good end to the day, and we always enjoy an extra chance to spend the day together.  Thank you Presidents Washington and Lincoln!

Tuesday -  Clouds were rolling in, and we were on storm watch in Southern California.  I had my early morning meeting as always, and when I finished around 3pm I got in the car and drove over to see what trouble my aunt had managed to create.  (I've learned to be a pessimist where she's concerned...) Turns out they were having a little Mardi Gras celebration over there!  Of course, she was nowhere to be found, so I called her down to celebrate with everyone.  We actually had a good time.  There was a lady singing Cajun songs, and the oldsters were clapping and singing along.  I looked over at my aunt, and she actually had a smile on her face!  Miraculous...  Then the party started going strong.  The workers put on their Mardi Gras masks and formed a sort of Conga dance line, snaking through and around all of the residents.  There are two Lindas that work there, and both of them grabbed me as they went by, and I was swept away in the Mardi Gras tide.  Sadly, I had on Ugg boots, which are not good for dancing, but I did the best I could.  I asked Linda M if any of the gentlemen could get up and dance, and she pointed to one, and just as the singer started belting out "Diggy Li, Diggy Lo" I pulled him up and we had a fine little swing dance together.  The old boy had some life in him, and twirled me about and did all kinds of fancy little steps.  Great fun.  After leaving my gentleman friend winded and wheezing, I went back to my aunt, and I could tell she was enjoying herself, and disappointed when it was over.  I stayed and visited with her until dinner time (4:30 for the early birds!) and made my exit.  Fun couple of hours spent there.  Just before I left one of the directors caught me and told me that they had another large room available, and might my aunt want it?  Turns out she did, thank you, and it just wound her all up thinking about it.  I told her I'd be back on Thursday to look at it with her.

Wednesday - Dad's day in the hospital having an A-Fib ablation.  His heart has been beating too fast, and this will help him to feel better and not so tired.  Arrived at the hospital at 9am, and sat with my mom while she waited.  A good friend of mine who is also one of my old team when I worked with the sales field also came and waited with us.  She is a nurse with cardiac experience so she was all in the know and kept checking with the cath lab for us.  Turns out Dad didn't have to have the A-Fib ablation - just an A-Flutter ablation, which is a much smaller deal, involving only one chamber of the heart, rather than both.  So he was able to go home that afternoon.  I went with mom back to the cath lab recovery area and saw him.  He was very loopy and kept giggling about everything.  My dad is not a giggler, so it's rather alarming/entertaining to watch him behave like that, but it was a relief to know that everything had gone well, and he could go home after a couple of hours.  One of my sister in laws was waiting in the wings to help with that, so I went home and tried to get some work done.  An emotional, tiring day, and I was glad to have it end.

Thursday - Finished work and drove over to my aunt's to have a peek at the room she had a chance to move into.  Somehow, she had decided not to take it.  I went and looked at it anyway, and then asked her why she didn't want it.  Mostly, it seems, it was because making a decision was too difficult.  By that time I was very frustrated, and I confess that Linda M and I bullied her a little bit about making the decision.  It's a great room, with a lot more space than she has now, and I know she'll enjoy it after the initial hassle of moving.  And then I went home, realizing that what I'd done was bring the experience of moving her onto myself.  And I became overwhelmed and called my brother.  My brother who is so good about always helping me out.  He is Steady Eddie in a crisis.  And so we have help, because heaven knows she'll never get it done on her own.  My sweet niece Sarah offered to come help too.  I'm looking forward to spending time with her.  Family is a wonderful thing.

This is the new bed we got my aunt last week.  New leather headboard, new sheets and duvet cover and shams.  It looks so pretty in her room!  And the new mattress is perfect - no more falling out of bed!  Mission accomplished...

Friday - Dad is doing well.  Raring to go, and impatient with orders to stay up or downstairs the entire day, rather than making several trips up and down.  Ready and impatient to get back to his one workday next week, and resume his gym routine.  The man is an animal.  It was a quiet day.  A cold day.  I sat with my little space heater at the ready all day warming my toes.  Ate a chicken breast for breakfast and made myself a way-too-indulgent chocolate-peanut butter smoothie for lunch.  I didn't care - it was delicious.  I just couldn't handle another fruit smoothie... for some reason I'm not a huge fruit eater.  I much prefer veggies.  I think that makes me an oddball.  So be it.

L is on his way home.  We're going to go out and have fish and chips tonight at a little local place.  I love our Friday night dinners.  The weekend stretches ahead of us (we're going whale watching tomorrow!) and it's a good time to unwind and take a deep breath.  I don't have to worry about moving anyone until next week.  I'm not even going to think about boxes or wrapping up delicate items, or try to figure out how many people it will take to move that monster of a dresser.  Tonight it's just L, me, some fish and chips, and later, a new episode of Downton Abbey.  We're only on Season 2.  I've already had the finale of Season 3 spilled to me and I'm sick about it, but it's a funny thing: I can sort of convince my mind that perhaps things will change by the time I actually get to that point, and that dreadful "thing" won't really happen.  Of course it will, but in the meantime I can dream, can't I?

Have a lovely weekend, everyone.  As for me, I need to scurry in and finally take a shower so that L won't think I spent the whole day unwashed and barefaced.  Every boy needs his fantasies.

9 comments:

  1. Holy smokes that was a busy week. I'm so glad you Dad did fine and is home. He sounds like a fighter and he's not going to let his illness get the better of him. Your Aunt will love her room and I love her new bed and linens! You have wonderful taste my dear! Enjoy your weekend and get some rest. Tonight Jack and I went to fish fry at the Catholic Church...I'm not fond of fish but it was helping out a coworker. Good night Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there, dear karen! I'm obeying your command. I'm sitting down, having some red punch and cookies and preparing to tell you EVERYTHING! :)

    I hope you enjoyed your fish and chips this evening and are settling in to watch another episode of Downton Abbey.

    I very much enjoyed reading the highlights and lowlights of your week. It was a real page turner. I laughed. I cried. :)

    First of all, it's encouraging to know you're thanking presidents these days. :) On a more serious note, I'm glad you were able to convince your aunt to join the Mardi Gras celebration. Overcoming the inertia that keeps a body at rest is important for all of us. Once we give ourselves a little push and try an activity we are usually glad we did and wonder why we were reluctant in the first place. The bed you got for your aunt is lovely and looks comfy. I know she will appreciate it.

    I am also very happy to know your dad's heart rhythm wasn't as serious as initially thought. He's a fighter and you take after him.

    It's so much fun to read your posts, dear karen. I always appreciate your dry humor in particular. I hope mine didn't aggravate you too much. Have a safe and happy weekend, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "After leaving my gentleman friend winded and wheezing" haha.. You make me laugh! A good week of being there for people who love and need you. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now THAT is a busy week my friend. I'm glad you're dad is home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you need a nursing degree these days. Hope you have a great weekend with your sweetie and have some time to enjoy spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you've got some R & R scheduled into your routine for next week. Gurl, You've been one "Busy Bee"! Glad your Dad is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you have had a great weekend! You need some time to unwind and spend time with the hubby.
    I hope the move goes well.
    You going to take a pic of your thighs of steel? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a busy week! I'm glad you were able to get out for a nice ride and enjoy a little dancing! Whale watching sounds absolutely wonderful! Good luck with the moving! I bet it will help to lift up your aunt's spirits to have a fresh perspective. Sometimes, as much as I love our home here, I wish I could pack up and move just for a change of scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! Okay, so I am just getting around to my fav blogs and can see that you have had the week! Hopefully, this week brings a little smoother water. Getting Aunt moved and settled will help ; )

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed