Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Spicy Changes

Warmer weather on the horizon - it's starting to feel a little bit like summer.  I only have about 4 more weeks to work until my 60 days off.  I'm starting to feel a little bit excited, yet a little nervous too.  What am I going to do with myself?  We always say we'd love to have the time to do all of the things we want to do, but when we finally get the chance, the pool gets muddied by the fact that there will be no paycheck for 60 days either.  So I'm trying to squirrel away a little here, a little there, so I won't have to ask L for spending money.  Like I'm 6.  As luck would have it, all of a sudden I'm very busy - lots of work to do - so I'm making hay while the sun shines.  And making up some mental to-do lists.

Did anyone take notice of the Super Moon last weekend?  Oh, how I wished for a zoom lens for my camera!  We did set up a tripod and managed to get this little picture.


I saw so many spectacular shots taken by people who actually know what they're doing AND have the equipment to match.  One was shot down by the water in Newport Beach with the moon huge and hanging over the water.  Amazing.  As I've probably said before, I love all things star and night sky related.  That moon really was lovely - until the fog rolled in, and you couldn't see it anymore.

We have two of our little ones having birthdays this month.  Matthew turned 5 last Friday.  He told his dad he wanted to go to Hawaii for his birthday, but he looks pretty content to be taken out to breakfast with his family.


L and I sent him a rocket that shoots a car out (he loves it) and a kickboard with a shark's face on it to use at the pool this summer.  I'm looking forward to some playtime with this happy boy in a month or so.

Saturday Mia turns 7.  Right now she's down in Kino Bay in Mexico with her dad's entire family.  It's an annual trip for them - tons of cousins, aunts, uncles, a pool, and the ocean.  What could be more fun than that?  She'll be back in Arizona on her birthday and I'll get to talk to her then, hopefully.  Telling tales of running wild with cousins, and playing every day on a beautiful beach.  I'm sure Massachusetts seemed very far away this week.


And then I had my big adventure in hair color.  I had the opportunity to be one of the "hair models" for a seminar at my salon for a new color technique.  I basically gave them carte blanche.  It's only color.  It can be redone, undone, done over.  And what I got was.... RED ...





Please ignore all of the flotsam and jetsam in my office.  It's hard to tell from this picture just how red it really is.  In the daylight it really does look a lot like this, but when indoor lighting hits it, it's really... bright.  Mom did not like it.  She is easily startled by new looks, and this definitely grabbed her attention.  Oh well - it's on MY head, after all, and I actually do like it.  It's growing on me.  And L likes it.  It's always good to shake things up every now and then.  Keeps boredom at bay.  And this hair color is anything but ho hum.  It's spicy.  Caliente.  And if, ultimately, I get tired of it?  That's what hair color is for, my friends - for change.

16 comments:

  1. Hi, karen! I'm sitting here having some red punch and cookies and ready to tell you EVERYTHING!

    Yessum, Mrs. Shady and I saw the Strawberry Super Moon. It rained here in the early evening and I didn't think the clouds would disperse. By the time we finished watching Spielberg's Lincoln, however, the skies had cleared and the bright yellow ball was clearly visible. We went outside and gazed in wonder.

    Happy birthday to Matthew and Mia! Soon there will be so many kiddos in your family that you'll be celebrating a b-day every day of the year.

    Caliente's the word for that hair, karen. HOT HOT HOT! Me likey and I do not consider it too radical by today's standards. I'm sure L appreciates having a wife who likes to shake things up and experiment now and then. Thanks for posting these head shots.

    Have a wonderful weekend, dear friend karen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your hair! It is the perfect thing for summertime. I love that he was just as satisfied with breakfast as he would have been with Hawaii.

    Enjoy your 60 days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brave girl! But luck for you, the hair color looks great. Not too much, just a splash of flair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cut Karen. Beautiful. And good for you seeing the value in spicing things up a bit! I seem to be unable to get a good haircut lately.... like in the last year or so. I think I need your stylist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, I absolutely LOVE the cut and the color! I tried to do the red highlights a few times, but my dark color just overshadowed it and it never looked as cool as your does! So sassy! Enjoy! Your Grandkiddos are too cute and growing so fast. I hope you have a good time with them when that time rolls around..until then, don't work too hard...or work hard if you must!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I've had red highlights before too, and I didn't like them. This process was way different, with really nice results! You can have any color you want - it just needs to be the right mixture!

      Delete
  6. Your hair is beautiful! I love the color and the cut!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your hair! I don't think I could be that brave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy to be brave when it's not a permanent change...

      Delete
  8. You are just too cute and too spicy - way to go!!
    You only live once, so as they say,
    "enjoy the ride"! Great photos of the littles and what
    a fun year awaits with new little grands on the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really think your hair suits you, since you are more than a little spicy yourself!

    =)

    PS. Happiness to the birthday kids...! By the way, we will be in Newport from the 20th to the 27th this year, but at a different place nearby. (Ours sold, dang it.) Email me and I'll give you the address.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is an awesome picture of you Karen! You look gorgeous!
    We were on a cross country road trip going home from Missouri to North Carolina during the super moon. It was a wild night and a twenty four hour drive since the dog was sick and we didn't want to risk a night at a hotel with his mess.
    Great shot of that moon!
    Happy happy birthday to your littles...they are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your hair. When my wife Jilda gets new color, she frets for a few days until she gets used to it and then it's the best she's ever had....until the next time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick! That's exactly how I am too.

      Delete
  12. What in the world will you do with so much time off? It looks like you have a few helpers to keep you busy.


    http://online-phd-uk.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed