Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Countdown To 60

It's the birthday countdown.  Mysterious packages have been arriving.  L has been researching plans and making arrangements.  The hotel and dining sites have been chosen.  I'm assured it's all going to be casual - I'm not a black dress and pearls girl.  At all.  I never thought I'd be excited to turn such a hellacious age as 60, but I kind of am. 

Today was a beautiful day.  A good friend arranged a day at the beach with me, complete with lunch.  Traffic was light, the weather was scorching, so it was good to head in a coastal direction.  We stopped first at Gina's Pizza for a slice of pizza and their pasta salad with ranch dressing.  Katie and I used to get that back in the day, so it brought back all kinds of fond memories.  We filled up cups of icy Diet Coke, and off we went.  Oh - and cookies.  Can't forget about the fresh baked snickerdoodles.  I love those things...

Almost no one was on the beach.  School has started, people are back to work.  We found a great parking place and hauled our crap across the sand.  Full view of the water, and a short walk to it.  Sue and I have no trouble at all commencing to gab.  It was a gorgeous day, so we slathered on the sunscreen, and got to it.  We saw a ton of dolphins swimming parallel to our beach.  Sue thought they were sharks, but I think they were dolphin.  So beautiful... And they kept coming up to breathe.  Ergo, dolphin, right?  Anyway, they were great fun to spot and watch.  Lots of surfers in the water too.

We ate our good not-so-little-lunch, and talked the afternoon away.  I don't know what it is: the company of a good friend, the sun sparkling off the water, the sound of the waves rushing in and out, or all of the above, but I wondered why we hadn't done this more all during the summer.  Sue has a large family, and she's busy going here and there with them, but really - we needed to do this a lot.  I actually don't mind sitting on the beach even on a cloudy day, just watching the water.  So soothing.

Too soon it was time to go back to real life and responsibility, but what a lovely, lovely afternoon it was.  It was just the thing today.  Now tomorrow, L and I head south to La Jolla for our own private birthday celebration.  I am as in the dark as you are about the plans, but I will fill you in when I return.  I'm excited.  It's been a good year - I've lost lots of weight, cut my hair,  I've gotten some travel in, met a new little member of the family, spent time and made memories with the existing ones, and reconnected with some lovely ladies .  Time will tell what the next few decades will bring.  Probably a little of everything.  Tears mixed in with joy.  Whatever we all face, I've got my True Companion by my side, good friends to share it all with, and adventures to live.  Let the countdown commence...

9 comments:

  1. I'm afraid I'm going to have to make a citizen's arrest, dear karen. I've seen pictures of you and I'm hauling you in on charges of being a beautiful young 20-something trying to impersonate a 60 year old! :)

    Keep in mind, dear friend, that 60 is the new 30, and with your super cute hair style and impressive weight loss you could be the poster girl for eternal youth.

    I have a feeling L is going to make you forget all about Vegas. Just remember, what happens in La Jolla STAYS in La Jolla. :)

    Happy birthday, dear karen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy early birthday Karen!! Glad you were able to go to the beach :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, you look GREAT for almost 60! Happy early birthday, and may this be the best one yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This day at the beach with a friend sounds absolutely idyllic. With more good things to come!

    Hope your getaway with L is the best ever. And may the year ahead be the same...

    Happy 60th, my friend.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I hope I look as good at 50 as you do at 60. Your afternoon sounds perfect. I think we all need more breaks like that in our lives. The beach is always soothing but a little more so when it is not as crowded.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can't be 60. You look 20.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sixty! Wow. Girl, I hope I look that great at sixty! And Katie is one lucky girl to share those genes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're tackling 60 with all the right moves...improved health, loving family, awesome friends, and a can-do attitude. All the things money can't buy! Enjoy your b-day surprise with L! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a grand birthday you're having! I think once you enter the "60's group" you get to celebrate an entire month - though let it be noted that we did almost nothing for my bday this year (I'm not bitter, not much. LOL) I'm 64 and though I can type it I still have trouble speaking the words out loud. You have a great attitude and look wonderful, and the best is yet to come!! Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed