Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Drezden Debuts - Our Halloween Treat

Happy Halloween!  October has been a real whirlwind around here.  I haven't had half a chance to relax and enjoy it - and now it's over.  I'm sitting in a half-dark room waiting for L to get home with the candy.  Yes, we really do wait until the last minute, and yes, I could have gotten it myself, but he said HE would so... I let him.  It's a crap shoot as to whether we'll even have any trick or treaters, but it's best to be prepared, and if none show up, then it's also delicious to be prepared.



I've been enjoying checking out everyone's posts on Facebook - pictures of all of the little ones in their costumes.  One of these years (and it had better be soon) I'm going to get myself together enough to be with grandkids in one place or the other on Halloween.  L and I did try that a couple of years ago, and karma responded with the snowstorm of the century, knocking out all of the power in Worcester, MA for the duration of our visit.  Halloween was cancelled and it was a little sad.  You can see my reluctance to repeat testing fate...



Speaking of Worcester, we have a new baby boy: Drezden John.  He's a love.  Mellow, sleeps well, loves to snuggle.  I leave on Saturday for a week long trip to Massachusetts to meet the little sweetie, as well as my other two darlings, Mia and Hayden.  Hopefully I will be a help, and we'll have some fun too.  I've not seen the house they're living in now, so it will be a whole new adventure.  I'll come back armed with lots of pictures and new stories to tell.  Now I'm sure many of you are wondering about his name, and so I'll explain.  His daddy is a World War II buff, and so he thought of the name Dresden, which is a city in Germany.  Katie and Zach were afraid people might pronounce it "Dress-den" (I would never) and so they opted to spell it with a "Z" instead - and thought it was nice that, coincidentally, Zach's name starts with a "Z" as well.  Whew!  And that's the story.  I can't wait to meet him and take in copious amounts of that new baby smell.  Their little heads smell delicious, and their cheeks are tempting to bite.  But I won't.  Well, maybe just a little nibble...





Work has been nuts!  I've been given a lot more to do, and that's a good thing.  More hours = more pay.  So bring it on...  I'll be back from Massachusetts a week, and I have to turn around and fly to Minneapolis for 3 days.  We're having some kind of training and my manager wanted all of us remote players to come in and reconnect with the Mothership.  Not a bad idea, but not so nice at this time of year.  November in Minneapolis is, well... COLD, but I'll suck it up for a couple of days.  I just know I'll be burned out from the first trip, and won't be in the mood for another long flight.

We've had our first taste of fall here in California.  Crisp cool nights (I've had to wear a head wrap during our bike rides!) and cool sunny days.  Sweater weather.  It's been great.  My mom and I went to lunch yesterday, and sat outside.  It was shady where we were and it was actually chilly!  (Well, to ME it was cold.  If you're from, say, Ohio, you're laughing at me right now!)  I've really enjoyed it though, and thinking about a whole week in Massachusetts with sweaters and boots and coats is getting me kind of excited.

L is down in the kitchen making his famous Halloween Soup.  We all love it, and our kids all ask for it when they're here at this time of year.  He's also BBQing chicken for some chicken quesadillas.  He brought home one of the biggest avocados I've ever seen for guacamole.  I should go down and help.  We've got candy ready to hand out, and when the little ones stop coming (if they come at all) we'll hunker down with some sweet treats and watch some recorded shows and our favorite show, Parenthood.  I do love spending these evenings with L, just being cozy and quiet.  Halloween ushers in the holiday season, and from here on out, I'm going to have to hold onto my hat.  November is going to be quite busy, as it turns out.  So many birthdays, and Thanksgiving too!  And then it really ramps up in December trying to get everything done.  I still have lots of shopping to do - I'm not quite as on it as I was last year.  Plenty of time, I tell myself.  Just breathe...

I hope you're all having a wonderful, happy, and slightly spooky Halloween.  It's one of my favorite times of the year.  I will be gone from here all next week, but will catch everyone up when I get back.  For those on Facebook, I'll be posting things there as I go along.  Have a wonderful week ahead, and think of me having the time of my life with my girls, and now our new little man.  And perhaps sneaking in a nap here and there.  Just to keep myself, you know, energized after more activity than I'm used to in a month, let alone one crazy week.

PS: We had one trick or treater.  A girl about 12 or 15.  Hard to tell.  No little ones at all.  So L has a lot of candy to plow through this next week.  He'll be missing me, you know, *a lot* so maybe the candy will take the edge off.


11 comments:

  1. You are going to be having so much fun, and Drezden is such a handsome boy! Katie sure does turn out some cute kids!

    The business trip sounds a whole lot less fun to me...

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, looking forward to some kid fun. The business trip, not so much. Putting on a game face is not what I do best. I get really homesick. Sounds ridiculous, but I do.

      Delete
  2. Hello, dear karen, and howdy and welcome to the world, dear little Drezden John! (I don't know which is better - new car smell or new baby smell.) I think Drezden is a cool name. An unusual name with a clever spelling can be an asset. I predict great things for Drezden, probably succeeding Mia and Hayden as President of the United States of America. I wish you a safe trip to Mass and reasonable weather for your stay. I also hope you can recover from jet leg in time for your flight to Twin Cities. Golly, you'll be traveling more than the Secretary of State!

    I can hardly believe you only had one trick-or-treater! Do you live on a remote mountain top somewhere? :) We had a warm, humid trick-or-treat night and approximately 225 kids came to my door. The highlight of the evening was a trio of teenagers, two boys and a girl, all smoking cigarettes. Since I didn't have packs of Camels to offer them they had to settle for candy bars.

    Suggestion: Why don't YOU eat all the leftover Halloween candy? In doing so you're bound to lose yet another 5 pounds! :)

    << He'll be missing me, you know, *a lot* so maybe the candy will take the edge off. >>

    :) (Hey, he'll have his Kiss albums and the video of Phantom of the Park!)

    Again, dear karen, I wish you a pleasant journey to New England and an enjoyable visit with your grandkiddos, including new baby Drezden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! We did eat some candy last night, and it has been so long since I've had anything like that it made me feel a little bit sick. I hope LaMar gets rid of it while I'm gone.

      Delete
  3. Ooh. New baby smell. I ache for it. Take a few sniffs for me. And kiss the back of his head where it joins his neck. That's the sweetest place of all! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my favorite place too! I just love how their heads join to their wobbly little necks. Sounds weird, but I know you get it.

      Delete
  4. How lovely to visit the little ones. The Clean Screen is great. I swear it got here about five minutes after I ordered it. No more smudges on the big TV.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janie! I'm so glad you're enjoying the Clean Screen. It's been slow going but is catching on more and more. I'll never forget that you were our first customer!

      Delete
    2. That's so sweet. I love coming in first.

      Delete
  5. Baby Drezden is so beautiful! I'm happy for you to be blessed with a new baby grandson. I bet Mia and Hayden are totally smitten with their new brother! Have safe travels and bundle up! It's cold here NC and I'm loving it so much that I am actually keeping up with the leaves....

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's cold here in Massachusetts but we're layered up and having fun. Dresden is a little cranky at night but we forgive him because during the day he's a dream! The girls are so sweet with him.

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed