Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

This is Alexis.  She's going to be 8 next month.  It's a special birthday for her, because she will also be baptized.  We baptize our little ones at the age of eight in our church.  They are old enough to discern right from wrong.  They are old enough to start to be responsible for their choices, both good and not so good.  They are old enough to start exercising that little Jiminy Cricket conscience that they all have in such amazing abundance.

Lexi is so excited to take this big step in her life.  She's a good girl who loves to choose the right.  She is good to her brothers and sister (most of the time), and is good at keeping mom and dad on the right path.  She is a little lady-princess with an imagination that knows no bounds.  She could carry on a good conversation with just about anyone.  She is confident and brave.  She is tons and TONS of fun.

Her dad (son Rex) just posted these pictures on Facebook.  Her mom had them taken at the LDS temple in their area as a beautiful reminder of her upcoming baptism.  I'm in love with them.  They capture a little lady who is powerful and sweet and lovely inside and out.  When I look at her I remember how it felt, long ago, to have such clarity of thought and action.  Before life and it's issues got entangled in everything, and made seemingly simple choices complicated and difficult.

And so I like to look at these images to remind myself of where I need my mind and spirit to be - looking ahead to the person I want to be, and making the clear choices to get myself there.  Without complicated, jumbled excuses or negative thinking.  Just like Lexi, who clearly sees where she wants to go, and is taking one giant leap in the right direction.

We will be there, Papa and me, on her baptism day.  Celebrating our first grandchild to be baptized, as well as a wonderful little girl's 8th birthday.  (I can't believe she is 8 already!)  Her younger brothers and sister will want to follow her good example.  Her mom and dad will realize a proud moment in parenting, and will also be humbled by her sweet spirit.  A warrior in an angel's body.

And then let the birthday celebration begin!  There should be cake.  There should be gifts.  And then I will take home my memories of our 8 year old Lexi that will have to last me until I see her the next time.  Dang, it's hard to live so far away. 

7 comments:

  1. Just beautiful!! I admire your thoughtful heart and open loving spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are amazing images of Alexis/Lexi. They capture her inner glow. Clearly, she is a young lady poised at the threshold of a great life filled with powerful thoughts and actions. I know you and the whole family are very proud of Lexi and rightly so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She' s so beautiful. I know it will be a special day. It's so much fun to see the excitement and faith in our little ones. This time last year we flew out to Oregon to see our Grandson get baptized and it was great. I hope you have a wonderful trip. Show all the fun pics too! I know what it's like to have family far, far away...it's hard! Have a good week Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful child. I don't mean to be rude or disrespectful, but how can you be sure than all eight year olds are ready for baptism? Some aren't as with it as others. My church baptizes infants and then affirms the baptism when they are young teens with two years of weekly classes followed by a confirmation ceremony. I'm not saying our practice is better than yours. I'm just curious about different religions, especially because some of the kids I've seen confirmed were not too bright and didn't always seem to know the difference between right and wrong. I'm glad you'll be there for this little angel's special day.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is confusing and difficult. I'm glad she has such strong support, as you did, to make good choices in life. I'm happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Marion - I've been known to make some real humdinger bad choices too. I feel I've been somewhat lucky in that I got out relatively unscathed. But yes, I did always have the core beliefs and they do help in life. I just love you, girly - hurry up and move down here!

      Delete
  6. Oh wow Karen, she is so beautiful and how fantastic is that special day going to be? Grandchildren give us the second chance to see life anew, refreshed and blessed! Have a great weekend birthday and baptism all…and much cake…yes there MUST be cake! Hugs~

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed