Daily Affirmation

The best things in life are free.
The second best are very expensive.
- Coco Chanel

Thursday, April 24, 2014

I Feel Summer

Today seemed like a turning point.  Up until today I still mostly felt like wearing sweaters, still had my boots at the ready.  But today... today just felt like summer is just around the corner.  My work hours are waning.  It's the end of the fiscal year, and there's not a lot of work during the summer.  I finished up my five hours and it was only 1:30.  The sun was shining, a breeze was blowing, and the patio and my lounge chair were calling me.  So for the next hour I sat in the sun (after slathering sun screen on!), listened to Pandora, and just chilled.  It felt great, and I got a nice little glow.  Maybe my legs will soon take on a more healthy color so I'll be comfortable bringing them out from hiding under tights and long pants.

L and I have been cycling every night.  Because the days are getting longer, it's twilight when we first set out.  The bugs are still out in force.  Tonight I got a knat in the eye, and was bombed by a few June bugs.  We persevered and finally, as it grew darker, I guess the bugs turned in for the night.  I remember being a freshman at BYU and I had a boyfriend who liked to cycle.  He also drove a sweet little Porsche 914 and hailed from San Leandro, CA.  I thought he was amazing.  I thought his car was amazing, but the rides though Provo Canyon and up to ski resorts are stories for another day.  His bike was a Peugeot.  Not a Schwinn.  A PEUGEOT.  How exotic and not-from-my-world...  For a few years after that I wanted a Peugeot bike.  I scoffed at Schwinns.  I spit at Huffys.  I imagined life cycling through the hills of San Francisco suburbs, and driving Porsches.  His dad was a jeweler.  How romantic.

Life, being contrary and smacking of WHAT'S GOOD FOR YOU, had other ideas for me.  I grew up... sort of... got married, became a mother, had lots of good years, went through a few bad ones, and then I really grew up.  I became acutely aware of what is important, and what is not.  I met L, and life granted me a second chance.  For years we spent our evenings walking for miles, or going to the gym, until my body kind of fell apart here and there, and I couldn't put in those miles anymore.  Now we ride our bikes in the evenings.  Schwinns.  (Yes, Schwinns.)  And it's incredibly romantic to have this man cycle around and around a couple of local streets with me until we get our 8 miles in.  Not a lot of conversation during our ride, but he's got my back.  He's always watching to make sure I don't get hit by a car, or that I don't ride into random trash cans because I'm looking at the stars.  Now THAT'S romantic.  It's grown-up-lady-now-I-know-what-life's-about romantic.  It's a good life.

Now, taking a quick turn, I should tell you that yesterday was Lexi's 8th birthday.  We weren't there, of course - at least not physically.  But we were there in spirit.  Only two more weeks until we're there in person.  I did speak to her on the phone, and she chattered happily about everything they had done on her special day.  I told her it sounded like she'd had lots of fun, and she replied "I sure did, Mema."  I love me a happy girl...  So yes, only two more weeks until we get to see this little family:



I'm getting more and more excited every day to see them all.  Look how big Travis has gotten! Skylee has turned into a little girl instead of a toddler, Matthew is a big boy all of a sudden, and Lexi... well, she's just turned into a beauty.  I can't wait.

And then a month and a half later, we'll be on our way to Mesa, AZ to see these two:

Er.... actually, these THREE (but the two girls will hog the attention):

Then it will be Mia's turn to turn 8, have a birthday, and be baptized.  Because they'll have just finished a vacation with Zach's family, they'll be in Arizona - how convenient!  So we'll drive there and commence celebrating the special occasion.  

 It's shaping up to be a busy summer after all.  I'm hoping to also squeeze in a visit to the pair in Texas.  Not sure when yet, but soon... It's just been too long.  So get ready Colorado, Arizona, and Texas.  I'll be along shortly.

7 comments:

  1. So awesome that you ride bikes together - I did that with my honey last week and it was a great bonding experience. Happy birthday to Lexi!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I can almost picture you two riding bikes together with L's watchful eye on you. Very sweet.
    You have gorgeous grandkids. Enjoy your visits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I most certainly did not bomb you. Watch the accusations, sister.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you'll have a blast this summer with all those cuties to visit! Time goes so fast and they just grow like weeds! I'm seeing our Oregon group this summer in Chicago. We're going to celebrate there with my family for our 40th anniversary. See, time really does fly! I can't believe I've been married for that long! (I'm sure it feels that long to Jack! Ha!) Enjoy your time off of work..or atleast the slower work schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, karen! I'm happy to learn that you and L have resumed your twilight bicycle rides. My mom and dad rode bikes together for decades, right up until the end of their lives. It's great exercise and a wonderful bonding experience for couples.

    I know your family so well by now that when you mentioned Lexi I formed a mental picture of her even before I scrolled down to the images you posted. Happy birthday, Lexi! All the kids are getting big and good looks definitely run throughout your entire family coast to coast.

    How convenient that the gang from Massachusetts will be visiting Arizona so that you and L can scoot over and see them! Just look at the power and magnetism in the eyes of Mia and her sibs - "Boston Strong."

    Thank you very much for visiting my blog and leaving a birthday message for 102 year old Margaret Schneider. Margaret, Kathleen and I appreciate your kindness.

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend and stay safe in all your travels around the country, dear friend karen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much to look forward to! Nothing better than visiting those grandkids, is there?

    And it's supposed to be in the 90s here on Thursday. What???!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Riding with your love is something wonderful. Your summer sounds blissful! Even the bugs....well, maybe not the bugs. But warm California sunshine does!

    ReplyDelete

Sit down, have some red punch and cookies, and tell me EVERYTHING...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed